Tele vs. SG

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Tele vs. SG

Postby bor64 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:52 pm

Just one guitar....a strat!
Nothing wrong with that, although I've about the same amount of guitars like Dave,( so we are spoilt rotten and can grab a type of guitar just the one to still the itch at that moment ;) )
The point is Daniel likes a telecaster....
His other thread, he's asking what kind of tele he could purchase for rock.
So we all can write till we are blue in the face, a strat or whatever guitar is more versatile. ;)
He's more keen on a tele. :mrgreen:

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby dave robinson » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:25 pm

Rob, he clearly asked if only one guitar what would be the choice and why - I answered accordingly. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby paulgshaw » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:16 pm

Question on this thread was.......

‘If you were going to own only one solid body electric - what would you go with and why?’

So he got the answers......

If he wants a Tele then buy ..........a Tele.....
paulgshaw

Full Real Name: ....................

Postby Tigerdaisy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:14 am

If you buy a good EQ pedal you pretty much emulate any pup sound, sufficiently...
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby bor64 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:34 pm

Yes I've notice the secondary question about the one guitar choice.
That's why a validate the strat, as the one guitar like you all did.
I was revering to his other tread, on that one.... it seem he made his choice already in favour of the tele.
It would be nice when he give some reaction in both thread about our comments....

Cheers Rob
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby Stu's Dad » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:47 pm

bor64 wrote:It would be nice when he give some reaction in both thread about our comments....

Cheers Rob

I couldn't agree more, two pages of member's efforts and not a cough to indicate they've even been looked at.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby MMStingray54 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:39 am

First of all I'm a bass player not a guitarist (this is a bassists sub board!!!).

Here are some thoughts - you say you want to play rock and I'm presuming you mean rock music not rockabilly or rock and roll?

1) Jimmy Page plays a Telecaster on Led Zeppelin 1 (and the guitar solo on Stairway to Heaven). Though its blues rock, Albert Collins plays a Telecaster.
2) Terry Kath plays an SG in the band Chicago (Chicago Transit Authority on their first, rather wonderful album). Have a listen to their version of I'm a Man - a single which reached the charts in 1968 (possibly 69). I have a copy - it's got a wonderful guitar sound.
3) My son plays a Telecaster and a Les Paul - gets lovely sounds out of both but yearns for a Strat as well now!!

It's no surprise that guitarists on a Shadows forum are suggesting a Stratocaster!! Just to throw another spanner in the mix, I witnessed (indeed played with) JimN when he's used a Fender Jaguar to great effect on 60s instrumentals and other stuff getting a wonderful sound!!

Tele is fine in my book and capable of very rocky sounds, blues rock, R and B funk and rythmn, and of course country. My vote would be for that!!
MMStingray54

Full Real Name: Don Vann

Postby JimN » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:33 pm

MMStingray54 wrote:...Just to throw another spanner in the mix, I witnessed (indeed played with) JimN when he's used a Fender Jaguar to great effect on 60s instrumentals and other stuff getting a wonderful sound!!

Don, I'm sure you're thinking of the purple metallic MIJ Fender Jazzmaster (the "J Mascis Model") from about 2008, which I bought from David Martin here, very soon after he bought it. I've never liked standard Jazzmaster pickups (the underwound Japanese version even less) so replaced them with Catswhisker P90 units made in Jazzmaster form-factor and with the correct covers. So it's essentially a Fender guitar with (more powerful) Gibson-type pickups.

I also have (and I know you have seen) an original late 1990s Squier Vista Series Jagmaster with Catswhisker P90s in a humbucker form-factor. Allan of Catswhisker usually calls the model the "Phat Moggy" in a cream-coloured cover, but the pure white covers I ordered made the Jagmaster look more Jazzmaster-ish and Allan dubbed those pickups "White Pussies"!

The MIJ Vista Series Jagmaster was essentially a Jaguar body and exceptionally slim 24" scale-length neck, with Kluson-type tuners, a Stratocaster bridge and open-coiled HB pickups. There was a later edition made in China, which was of much lower quality, with a 25.5" scale length and no attempt to keep the vintage vibe, so no gloss on the (chunky) neck, etc.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby MMStingray54 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:12 pm

Hi Jim - I'm pretty sure it was the Jazzmaster I was thinking about - although my recollection was of a burgundy colour - possibly caused by the influence of the Billabong's unusual lighting system!!!

Sorry I should have realised these are Jazzmasters - the bass version being a Jaguar (as played sometimes by the rather wonderful Pino Palladino performing with the Who). What colour is the Jagmaster, Jim?

They do actually sound fabulous especially on pieces like Hit or Miss. As you say, a fatter sound.
Last edited by MMStingray54 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MMStingray54

Full Real Name: Don Vann

Postby RayL » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:50 pm

Since the topic of Jim's Jazzmaster has been introduced here it is in action on the front cover of the forthcoming The Best Of The Secrets album.
Booklet 1.JPG
Booklet 1.JPG (144.21 KiB) Viewed 13374 times

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Previous

Return to Gear