Super light strat.

For anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units inc eTap plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Super light strat.

Postby Trojun » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:22 pm

Has anyone tried a guitar with a paulownia wood body?
I'm having back problems so wanted a lighter guitar, and also something to do. so with all the parts I already have, i bought an unfinished paulownia strat body. When it arrived I thought it was an empty box, it was so light.
I thought there might be a problem with screws not holding, so I glued in mahogany dowels where the trem block and trem claw screws go, so they should be fine. I've put a strat maple neck on and pickups fom an 80's jap strat, locking tuners and all the other bits I already had.
It sounds really nice, quite bright accousticly but no different to my other stats when played through a valve amp. And it's light, very light.
It's only cost me the price of the body, and its saved my aching back.

Dave
Trojun

Full Real Name: Dave Corner

Re: Super light strat.

Postby dave robinson » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:41 pm

Yes indeed I can vouch for that as I bought an unfinished Precision Bass body and Telecaster Bass neck and put together a '51 Precision style bass.
It's extremely light and plays and sounds great. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Trojun » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:34 pm

How are the bridge screw holding up Dave.? There's a fair bit of tension in those bass strings, have you had to do any strengthening. ?

Dave
Trojun

Full Real Name: Dave Corner

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:03 am

Roger Childs of the Watford Club, rocky on this site, used to bring his own home-made Stratalike to meetings. It looked good, sounded great and weighed very little. He’d built it from balsa wood!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby RUSSET » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:30 pm

Quote : Dave Robinson
Yes indeed I can vouch for that as I bought an unfinished Precision Bass body and Telecaster Bass neck and put together a '51 Precision style bass.
It's extremely light and plays and sounds great.
:)

Hi Dave, I bought the Squier CV '50s P. Bass in butterscotch a few years ago, when they were first issued. I just like that '50s vibe that it represents. I've never regretted it. It has a Pine body with contours. It is remarkably lightweight & sounds absolutely great for a bass with one single coil & Vol. & Tone controls.
Sorry if I interrupted the thread.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby 80sr5liftback » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:22 pm

I have a new 'strat' that has a really lightweight alder body, and it's resonant as all hell!! It is by far the lightest guitar I've ever owned, but it sustains like crazy. OFR, maple/maple neck, bolt on ... sorry, no tone or volume controls, just a kill switch.
all about guitar for funk
80sr5liftback

Full Real Name: Mark Hoffman

Postby Didier » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:15 am

Warmoth sells chambered Strat bodies which are 25% lighter than usual ones.

https://www.warmoth.com/ordering/chambe ... antee.aspx

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Return to Gear