Apache live recording using JHS Colourbox V2

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Apache live recording using JHS Colourbox V2

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:26 pm

Recorded live on Samsung S5 phone. Compresser and Baby Blue echos

https://youtu.be/4YjPWRtzTS0
Last edited by roger bayliss on Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Atlantis Live recording using JHS Colourbox V2

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:33 pm

Recorded live on Samsung S5 phone using compression and Baby Blue echos.

https://youtu.be/b4U_S95HdK0
Last edited by roger bayliss on Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roger bayliss

Re: Atlantis Live recording using JHS Colourbox

Postby emielvisser » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:19 pm

Hi Roger,
Clear sound from the JHS, but I am not convinced about the Baby Blue Echo. Are these the original settings according to the manual? I think the repeates are way too strong and they are coldish or am I wrong?
Emiel
emielvisser

Full Real Name: Emiel Visser

Re: Atlantis Live recording using JHS Colourbox V2

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:29 pm

emielvisser wrote:Hi Roger,
Clear sound from the JHS, but I am not convinced about the Baby Blue Echo. Are these the original settings according to the manual? I think the repeates are way too strong and they are coldish or am I wrong?
Emiel

As a result of these recordings, I had Mick Taylor of Stanley who make the pedals contact me. We discussed the echo levels and eventually agreed that the wet / dry mix was set a little too high. The compressor and Colourbox bring the echos out as well.

It would appear that on Apache I had wet/dry on about 5 and my version is v4 so he recommends 3.5 and the latest v5 software should be around 4.5 wet/dry. So too much echo used by me and operator error.

It was mostly about the Colourbox being used for getting the sound as it was new gear I had gotton,

The Baby Blue and Blue Nebula are both very good echo pedals, my fault!
Last edited by roger bayliss on Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roger bayliss

Postby emielvisser » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:18 am

I see Roge, a little move on a little knob makes a lot of difference, as it happens to me also now and than.......
emielvisser

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:37 pm

Yes we are all fallible being human and get ghings wrong occasionally. I am overall hapoy with the sounds and was more interested in ghe sounds of the Colourbox for Shads.
Last edited by roger bayliss on Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roger bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:26 am

Sounded good to me Roger apart from the obvious 'too much' echo, but impressive none the less.
Do you prefer the Keely compressor to the EHX ?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby emielvisser » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:49 am

As I mentioned earlier, the sound is very good, but, correct me if I am wrong, the JHS is some kind of a pre-amp and equalizer for a lot of money and in what way is it better than others?
emielvisser

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:50 pm

dave robinson wrote:Sounded good to me Roger apart from the obvious 'too much' echo, but impressive none the less.
Do you prefer the Keely compressor to the EHX ?

Thanks Dave,

Yes too much echo. The Keeley Pro is better and more transparent, but the EHX is quite good. I believe the Keeley is studio grade compressor and also designed to go anywhere in the chain.

I have to say that when I use compression , it completes the finish on the sound nicely and can hear the subtle difference. Only light compression though !
Last edited by roger bayliss on Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roger bayliss

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:04 pm

emielvisser wrote:As I mentioned earlier, the sound is very good, but, correct me if I am wrong, the JHS is some kind of a pre-amp and equalizer for a lot of money and in what way is it better than others?

Yes it is an overdrive ,fuzz, clean boost along with a high pass filter and very good EQ controls. It is based on the NEVE inputs on the NEVE desks as used at Abbey Road during 60s and 70s.

I think its the best EQ pedal I have bought and I have tried a few . There are of course other EQ pedals out there that could get the right sounds. The JHS also has a transformer on the output made by Lundial and I find it is a warm EQ .

There are videos out there comparing it to the cult boost pedal called the Klon Centaur, and the Boss Blues driver and others and it mimics them.

It is expensive , but I decided it was worth trying it and I am happy with the way it sounds. Many studios carry the JHS 500 series in their equipment stock and it is highly praised in studio work, yet here it is in pedal format.

Many artists including the Beatles , went direct into the Neve Consoles to record guitar , bass and other sources. Revolution was an early one by the Beatles.
roger bayliss

Next

Return to Gear