Boonar Echo Delay?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Boonar Echo Delay?

Postby sausage fingers » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:59 pm

Perhaps been discussed before but has anyone tried one of these, any thoughts?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/dawner_prince ... _delay.htm
Rob
sausage fingers

Full Real Name: rob kay

Re: Boonar Echo Delay?

Postby artyman » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:03 pm

There are a number of demos on YouTube
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby dave robinson » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:50 pm

This is a good machine as I have tried it and checked it out. It is one of three devices that are based on the Binson Echorec, the other two being the Catalinbread Echorec and the Strymon Volante, each of which I have owned. I sold the Catalinbread because as good as it sounds, it was too fiddly for live work and was not suitable for my needs.
The Strymon Volante is the best of the three but whilst I had just purchased it I discovered the Nux Tape Core and tried one, then an idea of two of those, giving me six heads if needed
The Nux Tape Core can be purchased for as little as £47 from Bax Shop on line and is a pedal version of the Roland 201 Space Echo. I discovered that two of these can give me the correct Meazzi patterns for Shadows music and decided to go that way. The setting up is no more difficult than operating the Strymon or Boonar and much easier than the Catalinbread.
I thought I'd found the answer with the Strymon, but the timings of the heads though close are not perfect, which Is why I investigated the Nux.
As the Strymon cost in the region of £400 in comparison to te £47 of the Nux, I went with a second Nux and made up a pedal board.
I added other stuff I already owned and last week the JHS Coloursound 2 came and completed the job and I can honestly say it's the closest vintage sound I have ever had.
That said I think it's true to say that these days you can get very close to the vintage Hank sound using a variety of what's on offer in the market. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby nivramarvin » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:34 am

I like to use it because of its versatility and compactness. It just fits in my self-made wooden box. And I admit that I bought it for visual reasons too. The green "magic eye" serves as a level indicator.
DSC00886 Kopie.jpg
DSC00886 Kopie.jpg (73.17 KiB) Viewed 5434 times
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby paulgshaw » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:33 pm

Hi, I bought the Boonar from Sound Gas about a year ago and didn’t like it at all. Sent it back for a refund. I found it small and fiddly with the number of controls, the ‘magic eye’ is a gimmick and does nothing useful...and having owned real Binsons I found this unit didn’t seem to enhance my overall sound.....it was a bit weird.....my clean sound was there and the echoes but the echo part seemed strangely separated from my total sound...it didn’t make my guitar ‘sing’ as the ESE tape echo does.....so for me it wasn’t to be.....

The Catalinread Echorec is much better but not the sort of thing you can use on stage unless you stick to one sound or like kneeling down on the floor with a torch......I sold that on as well.....

Not tried the Colante as my ESE does the job....still needs adjusting manually for different sounds but at least it’s big, easy to read and on a stand......

Hope some of that helps....

Cheers, Paul....
paulgshaw

Full Real Name: ....................

Postby dave robinson » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:48 pm

paulgshaw wrote:Hi, I bought the Boonar from Sound Gas about a year ago and didn’t like it at all. Sent it back for a refund. I found it small and fiddly with the number of controls, the ‘magic eye’ is a gimmick and does nothing useful...and having owned real Binsons I found this unit didn’t seem to enhance my overall sound.....it was a bit weird.....my clean sound was there and the echoes but the echo part seemed strangely separated from my total sound...it didn’t make my guitar ‘sing’ as the ESE tape echo does.....so for me it wasn’t to be.....

The Catalinread Echorec is much better but not the sort of thing you can use on stage unless you stick to one sound or like kneeling down on the floor with a torch......I sold that on as well.....

Not tried the Colante as my ESE does the job....still needs adjusting manually for different sounds but at least it’s big, easy to read and on a stand......

Hope some of that helps....

Cheers, Paul....

I don't think you can better the sound of the ESE with any of the pedals, but I get as good a sound on a smaller footprint and at much less cost.
That said I sold the ESE because it too is fiddly and needs tweaking throughout the set - if you want the correct echos. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby nivramarvin » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:35 pm

paulgshaw wrote:....it was a bit weird.....my clean sound was there and the echoes but the echo part seemed strangely separated from my total sound...it didn’t make my guitar ‘sing’ as the ESE tape echo does....

In part, you're right, the echoes don't sound as soft as with a tape delay. That's why I'm turning back the heights on Boonar. Since I not only play Shadows, but also Pink Floyd songs and a lot more, the Boonar is a good compromise for me. Thanks to the illuminated buttons, I can also change settings quickly. The "Swell"-footswitch on the left side allows a kind of reverb effect.

I recently recorded "wonderful land" with the pedalboard shown above, i.e. Compressor, AC-Tone and Boonar.
https://soundcloud.com/user-14574268/wonderful-land-1
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby Ian Miller » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:36 am

This is nice, Pete Korving using a Boonar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--6qepM ... ture=share

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Return to Gear