Zoom G3 XN

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Zoom G3 XN

Postby Teflon » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:41 pm

I know the Halls Echoes work with the Zoom G3X, does anyone know if they also work with the Zoom G3XN?

I'm currently using a Yamaha magic stomp loaded with EFTP patches, and, whilst the echoes themselves sound fine, I'm struggling to get a nice clean sound from the unit. There always seems to be just a hint of distortion in there, which sounds ok on things like Frightened City and The Savage, but less good on Wonderful Land and the like. As such, I'm looking for a new "plug and play" option. Alternatively, does anyone perhaps know how to clean up the sound of the Magicstomp?

Cheers,

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Re: Zoom G3 XN

Postby alanbakewell » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:17 pm

Ross Hall does not supply patches for the Zoom G3XN.
I'm sure there's a technical reason for this.

If you want a nice clean sound, then, ( in my opinion and being in possession of both units, )
get the G3X or The G5 units. Both available from various auction or sales sites. Ross Hall does
supply patches for these units and they are first class.

Steve Reynolds has posted some first class sound files using the G3X. Well worth a listen.

Cheers, Alan.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby Teflon » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:25 pm

Thanks for the response :) .

I've listen to a lot of Steve Reynolds stuff and he does indeed get a lovely sound. I must admit, in my ignorance, I was rather hoping "Zoom G3X" was just shorthand for "Zoom G3XN" and I could just pick one up brand new, but had a sneaking feeling that wasn't the case. I think I'll do as you suggest and have a look on the 'bay to see what can be found.

Thanks again,

Cliff
Teflon

Postby MeBHank » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:37 am

Teflon wrote:I know the Halls Echoes work with the Zoom G3X, does anyone know if they also work with the Zoom G3XN?

I'm currently using a Yamaha magic stomp loaded with EFTP patches, and, whilst the echoes themselves sound fine, I'm struggling to get a nice clean sound from the unit. There always seems to be just a hint of distortion in there, which sounds ok on things like Frightened City and The Savage, but less good on Wonderful Land and the like. As such, I'm looking for a new "plug and play" option. Alternatively, does anyone perhaps know how to clean up the sound of the Magicstomp?

Cheers,

Cliff

Hi Cliff, I've used a MagicStomp for a number of years. I have two questions for you:

Firstly, what is the last item in your chain: an amp or a pre-amp unit like a Joyo AC Tone?

Also, at what volume level do you set your MagicStomp? It's a pokey little beast. It can be used to boost the volume to considerably louder than the original guitar signal, which I find can distort the sound. I usually set it to somewhere between 30%-50%, or between 10 o'clock and 12 o'clock. Any higher and I find it can overload the AC Tone when playing with a heavier touch/digging in, resulting in a nasty, clippy distortion - not a warm pleasant one.

Unless you have a faulty echo unit, experience has taught me that unintended distortion from digital equipment is usually down to the levels selected. With the MagicStomp it's nice and easy as there's only one volume control (as opposed to other units like the Alesis rack units which have input and output volume controls which require careful balancing).

Cheers...
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby Teflon » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:36 am

Thanks for the detailed response.

My setup is very simple as I only play at home: Guitar into Magicstomp, and magicstomp into Yamaha THR5 amp. This then gets connected via USB to laptop for recording (Cubase) or using backing tracks. In terms of volume level, I tend to have the Magicstomp around the 3 quarter mark. From what you say, this may well be the issue, though I find if I set it lower, the guitar is very quiet when recording (the amp volume seems to have little effect when recording via USB).

It seems it will be worth having a further play with levels all round to see what difference I can make. I've also just bought a Zoom G3X from Ebay (can't have too much gear :D ) which should arrive in a few days. It'll be interesting to compare the 2.

Thanks again for the reply, I'll report back later in the week :) .

Cliff
Teflon

Return to Gear