Pyramid Nickel Classic 11-50 Strings - Your findings ?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Pyramid Nickel Classic 11-50 Strings - Your findings ?

Postby chaddman » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:06 pm

Hi Ian,
I have used Pyramid Pure Nickel strings in 10-46 gauge and found them to be excellent. I know you were enquiring about 11-50 gauge with a wound 3rd because of problems fretting strings so I can recommend Olympia Flat Wound Strings (they are easier on the fingers). I have bought 10-48 and 11-50 gauge sets and they are excellent value at £8.99 for the 10s and £7.99 for the 11s delivered off their E bay site. I have not used the 11s yet but the 10s are great on my American Special Strat with staggered pole piece Pick Ups (Texas Specials). The Output is even on all strings. I hope this is of some help.
Cheers Phil. :)
chaddman

Full Real Name: Phil Holmes

Postby Ian Miller » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:36 am

Have a look on EBay, quite a variety available there, free postage too!

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby scouserjoe2 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:34 pm

Hi again,

Thanks all for the many further suggestions. I have ordered a small sample of different makes suggested to try a few out. I am not a great lover of flat wounds despite their smooth feel; when I tried them some years ago I found the string tension was greater than round wounds and required even more effort to fret. I am sticking with a wound 3rd even that means buying an additional single or set. I have also limited my use of E-Bay because I am hearing too many reports of counterfeit goods being sold on that platform.

Cheers,

Ian
scouserjoe2

Full Real Name: Ian Evans

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:59 pm

Somebody told me that because the flat wind is thinner than the round wind, then the core has to be thicker to compensate - hence the higher tension.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Pyramid Nickel Classic 11-50s - Your findings and Mine

Postby scouserjoe2 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:52 am

Hi all,

When I received the many helpful replies to this thread I promised to let you know my findings and my thoughts. My comments here are obviously based on my ears and interpretation of the sound I was hearing when using the strings in question, so I would not argue with anyone who has a different opinion. The prices I have quoted are based on the purchase from one source - Stringsdirect - these will obviously vary elsewhere.

From what people had suggested and recommended I actually chose four sets of strings for my trials. Remember I am using pickups requiring a wound 3rd string.

Fender Pure Vintage Nickels (a hybrid set taken from a set of 9's and 11's giving me 11,14,24w,28,38,49) £6.49 per set (two sets required)
Rotosound Pure Nickels (again a hybrid set taken from a set of 9's and 11's giving me 11,14,24w,28,38,48) £7.99 per set (two sets required)
Pyramid Nickel Classics 11-50 (11,14,20w,30,42,50) £10.99 per set
D'Addario Nickel Wound EXL115W (11,14,21w,28,38,49) £6.49 per set

I used my Fender Custom Shop 56NOS Stratocaster for the tests, plugged straight through using a high quality low capacitance lead to my TVS3, a simple Vox AC10 amp, Focusrite interface to Logic Pro X. I wasn't looking to perfect any particular Shadows' sound, but using 'Find Me A Golden Street', 'Wonderful Land', 'Apache' and 'Dance On' as my sampler tracks.

The 'ideal' match for my requirements were either the Pyramid or the D'Addario. However, each of these presented its own issues straight away.

It turned out that the D'Addario weren't pure nickels but Nickel plated steel (should have read the label before buying). The proof was obvious immediately in the sound - very bright, too bright for my ears - and very typical of what I remembered from using them in the past. Very nice, but not what I was looking for.

The Pyramids turned out to be a disappointment - £14.95 to ship to me from Germany because I live in the Highlands! What is more, when I put them on the 3rd string was 'dead'. Straight away it was clear there was no acoustic resonance. When played through the amp, the tone I was looking for was there but spoilt by the state of the 3rd String.

So it was down to Rotosound or Fender.

To be honest, there wasn't much to choose between them. Both produced that warm full vintage tone that I was looking for and I liked them both. I've never used Rotosound before, but I would be happy to recommend and use them again.

A lot of people seem to shy away from Fender strings but I have always found that they produced the sound that I, personally, am always looking for. They're a few quid cheaper that Rotosound, half the price of Pyramid, and of the very popular and much recommended Elixirs. As for how they stand up over a long period in use, I cannot say, there was no time to judge as the strings were never on the guitar for very long. For most enthusiasts whose playing goes no further than the home they would find the sound quite acceptable. However, the price advantage of both makes is offset by the need to produce a hybrid set, therefore doubling the cost. But if you don't change strings that often, it wouldn't be a problem.

So there you have it - as I said - this has been my experience and down to my ears. Others will have other views, and all experience and advice would, I am sure, be welcome to all here.

Best

Ian
scouserjoe2

Postby pjr » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:00 am

Did you tune the wound 3rd to pitch before you cut it? - the Pyramids I mean.
If you didn't then that's likely the cause of the problem as the winding can slip on the round core.
Cheers,

Pete
pjr

Full Real Name: Peter J Richardson

Postby Gruntfuttock » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:53 pm

D’Addario pure nickel might also be worth considering.
Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Postby scouserjoe2 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi Pete,
Yes, I did. Actually I forgot to mention that my 56NOS was custom built and has locking tuners, so my string changing routine is to fit, lock and then tune before cutting off the excess. I didn't have a problem with the 4th, 5th and 6th string fitted in the same way.

Dave,

I could not find D'Addario Pure Nickels of the gauge that I was looking for.

Cheers,

Ian
scouserjoe2

Postby anniv 63 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:55 pm

I think the Fender Pure Nickel Strings are manufactured(or were) by D'Addario ?
The 10-46 PN gauge are a good quality and priced string ,easily available in most good emporiums.
For me worked well on a Squier Jazzmaster

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby Stu's Dad » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:19 pm

When your strings need changing Ian you might like to consider Tomastik-Infelds. I use them, 10 - 44, on a Squier Jaguar and a Gretsch and the true tone of the guitar comes through in both cases.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

PreviousNext

Return to Gear