Wilkinson Strat trem system

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Wilkinson Strat trem system

Postby dave robinson » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:53 pm

I just thought I'd mention the Wilkinson WV-PC Stratocaster replacement tremolo system as there are often discussions here about budget guitars and what needs to be changed to make them much better. I've used the vintage style Wilkinson trem before and I know they are excellent, as well as the more expensive VS-100 that I have also.
I decided that my SX Strat that cost me £80 on eBay would benefit from a change too, as the trem was flimsy and my usual cure of PTFE tape didn't give me the same satisfaction as with Fender models. I took a chance and went for the 'pop in' style with a soft aluminium surround and I'm pleased that I did. It cost under £40 and feels absolutely amazing to play, with it's solid steel high mass block and smooth edges. My VS-100 is fabulous too, but costs £60 more. Therefore if anybody need a recommendation for the lesser known WV-PC model, I can tell you it's absolutely amazing and feels it should cost five times it's actual price.
I also fitted a set of Mojo Vintage Strat pickups that I found on eBay last year and they are amazing too, but not cheap to buy new. This modest SX standard Strat now feels and plays as good as any of my £2000 + Fender Strats. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Wilkinson Strat trem system

Postby ovation553 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:56 am

hi dave
I also have an sx the blue translucent one have changed the tuners for wilkinsons and my next step is the trem bridge...did you have any problems fitting it like any redrilling for fixing holes on the body...my choice of trem is the wilkinson wvp6sb..thats the one with one normal hole and the rest are elongated to take up any missalignment in the remaning holes do you think it will fit ..i change the pickups too i bought a set of ironstones but not really happy with them found them a bit low powered especially the neck ...any ideas for a decent set was thinking on tone riders but not sure which ones to buy i did here that tone riders are fitted to squire 50s vibe strats whether there is any truth in that i dont know all recommendations welcome
best regards charlie
ovation553

Full Real Name: charlie wilson

Postby Stu's Dad » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:11 pm

ovation553 wrote:hi dave
I also have an sx the blue translucent one have changed the tuners for wilkinsons and my next step is the trem bridge...did you have any problems fitting it like any redrilling for fixing holes on the body...my choice of trem is the wilkinson wvp6sb..thats the one with one normal hole and the rest are elongated to take up any missalignment in the remaning holes do you think it will fit ..i change the pickups too i bought a set of ironstones but not really happy with them found them a bit low powered especially the neck ...any ideas for a decent set was thinking on tone riders but not sure which ones to buy i did here that tone riders are fitted to squire 50s vibe strats whether there is any truth in that i dont know all recommendations welcome
best regards charlie

I've got a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Charlie, and I was reliably informed by another member here that, although they're marked Fender on the bottom, they're supplied by Tonerider. I checked on the Tonerider site and they appear to be identical in spec to the Tonerider Surfaris.

They're great pickups.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby dave robinson » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:51 pm

That trem should be fine with the elongated holes. My trem didn't have elongated holes and I had to fill three of my holes as they were very slightly different but the bottom E, A and D were spot on. I do have that trem that you're talking about on another Strat and it's fine, but I prefer the expensive feel of the one I chose for the SX.
The Tonerider Vintage pickups are terrific, I have a set of those too as I tried them when the were introduced and they are keepers. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby ovation553 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:28 am

hi all
thanks for all replies and just what i wanted to hear..thats my project back on track...by the way i forgot to mention that i bought a fiesta red 50s vibe squire strat from merchant city music glasgow i asked them to fit a wilkinson trem wvp6sb I must say its really smooth the lads made a great job of fitting and really happy with the guitar great shadows sound through my vox vt 100 and my baby blue from stanley...so next step is the bridge and finally the tone rider surfaries...once again thanks to dave and len for info... youve made my day
best regards charlie
ovation553

Full Real Name: charlie wilson

Postby anniv 63 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:56 am

Hi Charlie, I too must compliment MCM Glasgow for the excellent set up on a Squier Simon Neil
Classic Vibe Strat purchased in 2012, minimal adjustments only in the same gauge periodic string change.
Most impressive too are the pickups (Tonerider type) fitted as standard.
Enjoy!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby George Geddes » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:23 pm

Having a preference for rosewood fingerboards on red Strats, I too bought a Simon Neil Strat from MCM. In my Shads playing days it was no.1 with my Hank Marvin Sig. relegated to backup. The name on the headstock - like Dave's SX - is not necessarily significant...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby dave robinson » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:08 pm

I'm pleased that people benefit from my findings with the various aspects of gear, I hate to see people unnecessarily spending more than they need.
The ToneRider pickups I was recommending by the way are the Pure Vintage set, I haven't heard the Surfaris. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:12 pm

I have the Tonerider Surfaris on a home built strat and they sound great. According to Tonerider specs they are wound as the Vintage set are as far as dc resistance goes , but have Alnico 3 poles throughout. If I remember right the Vintage set used Alnico 5 on EAD strings and Alnico 3 on GBE on bridge pu only with Neck and Mid pu having Alnico 5 poles on all poles.

I also have a Wilkinson tremelo on that strat which has solid rolled steel block, push in arm and two point fitting for pivot and its very good.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:19 pm

As far as I know, the Surfaris are the pickups used in the 50s Classic Vibe Strat and the 60s version used the Classic Blues pu by Tonerider. Ithink the Simon Neil used the True Vintage . The Classic Blues although a great pu, tend to be a bit fuller sounding overall, so not best choice for Shads.

HTH
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Next

Return to Gear