Audacity and Other Software

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Audacity and Other Software

Postby Garystrat » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:24 am

Hi Terry,

I don’t know if you are up for this, but Ableton Live seems to have just the facilities you are looking for, the “Intro” version is on offer at £55. 00 at the moment and has two help panels that guide you through things like setting up and interactive help.

https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/live/

One of the features is what they call scenes, which is audio or MIDI that can be entered into slots within the track and can switch freely between them, but only one per track can be on at a time. It’s very low latency and is excellent for live play, recording and experimenting, it also has a unique way of handling plugins.

I’m pretty comfortable with most DAW’s and switched to the Suite version about two years ago having tried a trial version that came with my audio interface, it’s the same core system for the Lite version with less tracks and plugins, so pretty powerful.

It does do many thing in different ways to the more conventional approach, but I found it a relatively easy learning curve that intuitively brings more advanced features readily to hand. An example is buses, they are already on screen and you only need to turn a track knob to blend them in, most DAW’s you have to set them up.

There are two screens, you can record and do many things in both, but one is more suited for recording and the other live play and experimenting (top right button switches between them).

There is a trial version and the help panel that opens to the right should get you up and running fairly quickly!

Regards

Gary

PS; Just add there are tutorial videos on their website, well worth a look!
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby George Lewis » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:42 am

Tab wrote:Is anyone here familiar with Audacity recording software?

I am having difficulty with multi-tracking.
If I record a backing track via mixing desk into the laptop using the USB port, when I try to record another track, via the same route, I cannot hear the BT.

What am I doing wrong?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hi Terry,
Not sure if this is still an issue for you.
In order to hear existing tracks whilst recording a new one, there is an option in Edit/Preferences/Recording ... "Play Other tracks while recording (overdub)."
Make sure this is ticked.

You will then hear all unmuted tracks when recording a new one.
If you only want to hear the BT then simply mute any other tracks, for example a previous take.

Whilst in recording Preferences make sure that the software playthrough option is unticked and the "Record on new track" is ticked.

Regards
George
George Lewis

Full Real Name: George Lewis

Postby Tab » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:52 am

Many thanks, George
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:32 am

I came across studio software by NCH Software a short while back and they do some inexpensive software for audio editing and video too. I think the studio software is called MixPad and a free demo is available too.

It incudes vocal remover as well which is fairly good, but does not do Accapela.

Supports VST plugins etc

https://www.nch.com.au/mixpad/index.html

They also do WavePad an audio file editor and an audio file converter .
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:01 pm

I agree. I’ve been using WavePad and MixPad for some years now. I discovered it when I changed to Mac and discovered CoolEdit wouldn’t run on it.

I like the NCH software a lot.

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Previous

Return to Gear