Audacity and Other Software

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Audacity and Other Software

Postby Tab » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:29 am

Is anyone here familiar with Audacity recording software?

I am having difficulty with multi-tracking.
If I record a backing track via mixing desk into the laptop using the USB port, when I try to record another track, via the same route, I cannot hear the BT.

What am I doing wrong?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Re: Audacity and Other Software

Postby artyman » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:36 am

You need to have the backing track loaded into Audacity, then create another track, hit the record in Audacity, the backing track should play and you then record to the second track. Make sure you have 'Playthrough' turned off else you get the latency problem. I assume you have the latency displacement set in options. After recording Audacity will displace the second track so that it is in sync with the backing Track, then export it as MP3 and it will warn you that both tracks will be combined.

I'm making a couple of assumptions here, that you can hear what you are playing when using the interface, and that your laptop has speakers. I record using my Fender Mustang III USB out into my PC, with the BT playing through the PC speakers, I hear my guitar through the amp.

Hope that helps, if not give me a shout.
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby Stu's Dad » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:43 pm

You don't need to record a backing track, all you have to do is import it. It's much quicker.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:59 pm

Stu's Dad wrote:You don't need to record a backing track, all you have to do is import it. It's much quicker.

Len

... unless you are making your own backing track :)
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Tab » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:59 pm

Thanks for your replies.

My set up for some recording purposes is;

I have an ipad (BTs) feeding into a mixing desk which is then routed to my laptop via the USB port.

I can then record a BT onto 'Audacity through that route or, as has been mentioned, I can import the BT direct onto Audacity.

I can then play back the BT on Audacity leaving the USB lead connected and can hear it through my mixer desk speakers. That is not the problem.

Also going into the desk is my Guitar - echo - Tonelab but when I try to record the guitar on to a new Audacity track it will not let me hear the BT.

There must be a solution to this. In the meantime it is stealing my life!
Tab

Postby JimN » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:43 pm

What format do you have for the backing tracks, Terry?

Unless you have an all singing, all dancing, physical multi-channel stereo mixer of the Soundcraft or similar type, as well as high-quality real-time effect (especially reverb), it's better not to record the backing track and the superimposed guitar track in one pass. For that method, you really need a third party doing the monitoring and operation and authorised to call "takes" to a halt when they need to be remade with a better balance.

Your best bet is to have them on the hard drive of your recording device (which I hope is a good PC or a Mac) in stereo *.wav form.

I'm sure you know how to import a file into a stereo track in Audacity and then create another new (stereo) file with your input connected to your guitar (amp , effects, whatever), monitoring the backing track and guitar on 'phones. The balance you hear in the cans doesn't matter all that much because you can get it right at the full mixdown stage, adding reverb for the right spatial effect.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Tab » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:15 pm

Hi Jim.

Thanks for your comments.

I'm not looking to record a studio quality of Apache, Wonderful Land, FBI etc. A well known band have already done that and I couldn't possibly match the reproductions done by the TVS guys and a few others.

I'm merely looking for a way to lay down some track from some ideas I have for a song but I need to be able to hear other tracks whilst recording a new one.

Kind regards
Tab

Postby Hank2k » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:26 pm

Is there a button on your mixer for main out or something like that? What mixer are you using?
Hank2k

Postby SJB » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:22 pm

With not expensive non USB Mixers you can switch the return inputs to the mixer inputs or the return inputs to monitor.
So if the returns are selected to the mixer input - it goes back out with the mix - not what you want.
If you select return to monitor - then you can't hear the inputs - again not what you want.
From my very short look at some usb mixers - its the same.
You would need an expensive mixer with multi channel out and internal multi buses. (JimN comment)

Taking the lead from Artyman - I plugged in my Behringer Guitar USB interface.
This is then similar to plugging in a USB Mixer.
The latency with Audacity is very high. So its impossible to use the return signal from Audacity anyway.
So the only way to do it is to run the BT from Audacity into monitor speakers of some sort - and use your guitar amp speaker for you - with a mic or a direct input.
Your accompaniment is recorded - with latency which is corrected by audacity when the number is completed.
The amount of correction has to be set up. Artyman does this. I think you record something and use the waveform display to find the latency and put that in preferences. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong).
If you have "Playthrough" selected then you will hear yourself - about a week after you hit the strings :D :lol: (Latency)

General note:- I use the Guitar Interface for live playing with Cakewalk DAW. Latency is 9ms - so the latency is as I understand it is down to Audacity.
I know many people have had very good results with Audacity - and its free.
I hope this helps.
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby artyman » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:53 pm

To determine the value to enter into the latency setting. Generate a click track, Add a second track. Hit record then play a short single note on each click, you can then see visually how far adrift your setup is and put that figure in the settings.
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Next

Return to Gear