Strymon Volante and MIDI controller use.

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Strymon Volante and MIDI controller use.

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:19 pm

Hi folks

Just thought I would say that my Morningstar MC6 MIDI foot controller arrived yesterday and I integrated it onto my pedalboard and set it up to use mostly with the Volante.

Normally on the Volante , without MIDI , you can only use 8 user presets, whereas with MIDI you can access 300 presets. Also you can control most values with front controls or MIDI , but you can only set the head levels either full on or half level without MIDI. Using MIDI gives full head level control.

Mainly been familiarising myself with it and how it works and MIDI generally. Got off to a good start today and set up the MIDI to give access to all the 300 presets in the Volante sequentially and switch between the 3 banks where the presets are organised. Had two buttons set up for up and down presets, another button to reset to preset 1 again, and 3 buttons set up for bank selection. Have also figured out a way of showing the preset number in the display as you go through the presets. Not bad for 24hrs learning !

I realise after doing some of this , I will be able to set the head levels of the 4 heads with an up down controller for each. Eventually I aim to setup named presets such as Peace Pipe, in a song list type of arrangement to jump to the correct echo for a song.

All fascinating stuff for my first outing.

Can recommend the Morningstar MC6 or MC8 or MC3 MIDI controllers by the way. Very good display with names of foot switches describing what they do. The software makes it a breeze to program as well.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Re: Strymon Volante and MIDI controller use.

Postby dave robinson » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:56 pm

This sounds good Roger, I'll be watching and more than likely doing the same. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:58 pm

I have pretty much worked out how to control the Strymon Volante with the Morningstar MC6 MIDI controller and written a number of patches that control the Volantes user patches and head level controls. I have also set up some basic echo machines so you can get a basic sound of say an Echomatic 2 up and running with a couple of presses. Then all you need to do is save that into a preset and further edit the patch to suit a song.

I will have to start testing it out fully in near future and fine tune the settings and write a 'read me' instruction file. Then copy the patches , banks and presets to files , including a single file that is a copy of my MC6. These files can be loaded into an MC6 and will happily give anyone a copy of the file set, if they want to go down this route.

I will likely do a video presentation, so people can see how it works in practice.

Basically the idea is you go to a Volante preset you want to use for a new tune. You load in a suitable machine profile and save it in the preset. Then you further edit the preset using the head level controls, or any of the front panel controls on the Volante itself and the save the updates in the same preset.

After creating a preset for a tune , you create a song preset on the MC6 that references the preset on the Volante and name it eg Peace Pipe and save that. Now whenever you want to play a tune , hit the allocated button in the MC6 and play. This gives you easy to read song presets , which you do not get on the Volante as no display. Will update progress in due course.

:ugeek:
roger bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:25 am

I've ordered the Morningstar MC6 and look forward to setting up the Volante and my Fishman TriplePlay system for our show. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:24 pm

Nice one Dave

I have setup the Volante on MIDI channel 1 (default), you may already understand that other gear / pedals need to go on another spare MIDI channel and set the Volante to 'Pass Through ' the MIDI messages via its MIDI OUT port to the MIDI IN port of the next pedal/ MIDI unit. You can daisy chain several pedals in this way subject to the limitations of the MC6.

If you do not use the Volante on MIDI chl 1 , then you will need to go through all the MC6 messages and change them to work on the other chl for Volante patches I wrote.

It might be simpler to load a copy of my MC6 sysx onto your MC6 and then do your own editing later . Failing that you can load up individual banks and presets onto spare banks and presets on your MC6 if you do not want to overwrite any presets you have made.
roger bayliss

Postby RJMiddel » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:37 am

Hello Roger,

I am Robert from the Netherlands and just joined this forum. Currently I own a RFX-2200 but that will not fit on my pedalboard.
So I ordered the Strymon Volante. In this forum I read thatt you alos own one and are happy with it.
Is it possible for you to share your settings of the VOlante with me for the Shadows sound?
I would appriciate that very much.

Thanks Robert
Fender Stratocaster USA, Zoom RFX-2200, NDSP Quad Cortex.
RJMiddel

Full Real Name: Robert Middel

Postby RJMiddel » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:04 pm

roger bayliss wrote:Nice one Dave

I have setup the Volante on MIDI channel 1 (default), you may already understand that other gear / pedals need to go on another spare MIDI channel and set the Volante to 'Pass Through ' the MIDI messages via its MIDI OUT port to the MIDI IN port of the next pedal/ MIDI unit. You can daisy chain several pedals in this way subject to the limitations of the MC6.

If you do not use the Volante on MIDI chl 1 , then you will need to go through all the MC6 messages and change them to work on the other chl for Volante patches I wrote.

It might be simpler to load a copy of my MC6 sysx onto your MC6 and then do your own editing later . Failing that you can load up individual banks and presets onto spare banks and presets on your MC6 if you do not want to overwrite any presets you have made.

Hi Roger,

I am Robert from the Netherlands and I am very interested how you managed the Shads sound with the Volante. Currently I own a RFX-2200 but that 19 inch rack doesn't fit on my pedalboard, so I bought a Strymon Volante. Currently busy with finding the settings but I struggle a little bit.
I am not that techinal guy. My final goal is that the Volante will be triggered via midi withmy Morningstar MC6 which is already on my peedalboard.
Maybe you want to share you settings with me? It would be appriciated. :) :) :)
RJMiddel

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:14 pm

I replied on this at Charlie Halls site
roger bayliss

Postby RJMiddel » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:38 pm

roger bayliss wrote:I replied on this at Charlie Halls site

Roger,
I know but it took several days before they approved my message. Very strange that administrator needs to approve it. But thanks anyway for sharing.
RJMiddel

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:49 am

Robert, one of the administrators bought it to my attention by personal message some sort of issue with the site maybe.
roger bayliss

Return to Gear