Suggested EQ settings for Shads numbers

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Suggested EQ settings for Shads numbers

Postby Gruntfuttock » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:20 am

I found the following table on the internet. It's from WWW.hepro-studios.de. I imagine there's no copyright problem as the download was freely available via Google Search.

The original is an A4 page which contains P/up, original echo units used and Echo settings. It also groups some numbers in A, B or C groups to correspond with the settings.

EQ Hz 31.25 62.5 125 250. 500 1000 2000 4000 8000 16000
Sound A -12 -12 -10 -2 0 -2. 7 0 -12 -12
Sound B -12 -12 -10 -10 -2 2 2 -6 -12 -12
Sound C -12 -12 4 2 - 6 -1 8 6 -12. -12
Modn Sound -12 -12 2 1 - 2 4 -3 -8 -8. -12

Sound A is the very early numbers.
Sound B They list Cosy, Peace Pipe perfidy etcS
Sound C they list Dance On. Theme for Young Lovers, Flyngal ect
Modern sound is obvious.

I've programmed my Katana head amp, and the the infamous H&CSE I'm getting some very promising results.

Cheers! Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Re: Suggested EQ settings for Shads numbers

Postby nivramarvin » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:20 pm

I compiled the table years ago from data that did not grow on my crap, but from different sites, e.g. demowest.wordpress.com and others. I think I've posted it here before.
Attachments
ShadowsSettings.pdf
(83.93 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby dave robinson » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:47 pm

These are settings that work OK on the Katana, but other devices and amps are kikely to sound slightly different on the same settings.
The general tone shape for Hanks guitar on those early tunes has always been a slight raise in the 1.5K area with reductions at the 150HZ & below and reductions at 3.5K and above. How much you attenuate depends on the amp & speaker as they all sound different. You have to use your ears.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby MeBHank » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:02 am

dave robinson wrote:You have to use your ears.

The 'give a man a fish...' analogy fits here. If you understand the reason you're setting a dial in a certain position it means you understand the sound. I try to guide people into finding the sound for themselves instead of giving them exact dial positions I use on my gear. That said, I have been sharing my findings with a chap to whom I give online guitar lessons, as we've both been experimenting with the same pedal. We swapped settings a few times, me mostly guiding him, and I was so pleased when he said 'I've gone back to the previous settings' a few days after I'd suggested something new. That told me he's starting to hear the sound and take control of it himself.

You could say this is the legacy of programmable digital effects. People are so used to selecting 'patches' and having exact settings provided that they don't seem to stray from them. Patches have their place, but for me their best use is for fluency within my fast-paced show. Many times I've edited them to my preferences in advance. I like to sculpt my own sound.

I've read this comment back to myself and it sounds a bit critical, which is not my intention at all. It's purely an observation, and, I suppose, my way of saying to not tie yourself to printed settings. Perhaps use them 'as guidelines' (as they say in Pirates of the Caribbean), but allow yourself to enjoy the process of experimentation, and finding your own interpretation of the sound.

I'm glad you're getting good results with the settings you found, Dave. :)
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:57 am

The frequency response curves of the old echos often show a peak i the mid range area in the realms of 1k . They often roll off on either side of that and when you roll off the top end and bottom end frequencies, the result is a mid range presence. This is certainly true on the Meazzi's. If you have used a Meazzi you will understand that they change the sound and that is why when the Shadows played live , the core sound was there.

The 3 Shadows core amp sounds that we often talk of on the hit records together with the sound of EMI studio work, further changes the sound for the record. Malcolm Addey said he did not change the sound of the Shads too much in the studio.

For live playing , it might be sufficient to just mimic the curve of the Meazzi preamp. Most players have often simply opted for a inverted Smiley face EQ and gotten favourable results . Again the mids are the focus and the inevitable top end and bottom end roll off .

I think all the records had some different degree of EQ applied in the studio and the EQ was certainly different as the amplifier and settings changed. The early sound was played on amp sounds that were relatively flat EQ , the Top Boost era had different mid range scoops in the sound due to Top Boost circuit behaviour. The Burns era was notably nasal due to the mid range dip.

Also when using the different pickup , EQ is cleary changed , neck pu less bass , more treble , bridge pu more bass , less treble etc.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:02 pm

Out of interest I just found some lists of Shadows tunes from the same Danish site, suggesting the timings of head settings of various tunes of the echo boxes. Looking at them closely I can see that they're way out and anyone relying on those settings are going to be frustrated as there's no hope of getting the sound using them, though they may possibly sound nice.
If you have a device that you can self programme and wish to get the real echo timings, I recommend looking on the TVS site at Paul's findings and he has documented the correct timings for all to see - and they work. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Gruntfuttock » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:11 am

Nivramarvin.
Thanks for that link. Yes it’s the same file! Amazing. I found it (and others) via a Google search!
Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Return to Gear