HALLS & COLLINS ECHO

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

HALLS & COLLINS ECHO

Postby shadphil » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:29 pm

Hi is the Halls & Collins echo unit the best around for the Shads at the moment any thoughts thanks Phil
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Re: HALLS & COLLINS ECHO

Postby dave robinson » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:12 pm

In a word, no, though we all hoped that it would be.
There are many echo machines that produce excellent echo simulations of the ones that you hear on those old Shadows records and as somebody who had tried and had all of them my personal opinion is that the H&C is very good but didn't stay with me. I eventually bought the real deal, a Meazzi Echomatic, which inspired me to buy the TVS3 for the second time. Yes I did say the second time, because fourteen years ago I bought a hand built Vox AC30/4 by a guy called Rod Jenks in Australia along with a TVS3 from a nice gentleman on this site who was in need of some money. At the time I owned the ESE Echomatic tape echo machine which was excellent and I used it all the time.
I didn't know it, but my hearing was seriously impaired and it caused me some confusion relating to sounds, but I didn't know at that time. So to me, the TVS3 sounded good, but no different to what my ESE was delivering. This was reinforced by the opinions of many people on this site who encouraged me to sell it on for that very reason, so I did, not knowing what I now know because my hearing has been largely restored and I can now hear the true qualities of the TVS3. Had I known then, the TVS3 would not have been sold.
I still have the AC30/4 and the Meazzi and TVS3 sound amazing through it, as well as my other gear. I recently studied Paul Rossiter's quest for his perfection and since my TVS3 arrived, along with my band members we have done a lot of playing and comparing and we are amazed and satisfied that the money was well spent. What I am prepared to say after doing extensive research is, nobody or no firm has managed to do what Paul Rossiter has done and what ever new gadget or pedal comes on the market, it won't do what the TVS3 does because nobody understands what it is that does it. Most of the echo boxes are close, but I can't find another that 'nails' the Meazzi. The Strymon Volante is great and works a lot like the old tape/drum machines used to do, but you need to know how to use it.
That's really all there is to say as I'm not wanting another echo debate, for me it's conclusive. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Tab » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:52 am

I fully endorse what Dave says. The TVS3 is second to none and I've never regretted making the investment. The Q2/Q20 EFTP run a good second and can still be found. Personally, I've never been impressed by the H&C.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby Teflon » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:37 am

It may be worth your while checking out the vintage sounds package first before you "splash the cash" ( https://vintage-sounds.freeforums.net/ ). I've no idea how it compares to a TVS3, and a pc based approach may not suit your needs, but as it's free it surely has to be worth a look :)

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby dave robinson » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:07 am

That is a fair point from Teflon because if you are computer based for your guitar playing, you don't have to spend money on actual echo units. I have used a couple of good echoes in my software on the Mac in Logic and you can also buy the Binson and Copicat software.
However, if you are an amplifier man and wish to do it the 'old school' way then you do need to invest. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:36 pm

Personally I have tried most echo units , but never had a TVS nor heard one in the room. I have played a through a few Meazzi's too on my travels.

I have also tried Christian's VST software and seen what that is all about and Christian has done many an accurate cover of Shadows tunes using VST. The echos provided in VST are eTap2 plugin which are excellent.

I have recently got the V5 Blue Nebula and have a few Blue Baby echos by Stanley Effects , which as we know are the latest eTap2 based units with the latest software and pre amp designs. For what they cost , they produce excellent echos for this music and I rate them highly. They also fit nicely on a pedalboard, which I also like.

If Christian can get the results he has using the eTapw plugin , then surely we can get results with the newer Stanley Effects units ?

In the end it is not just the echo, but the pre amp sound and the studio treatment of the sound that gives final results.

The TVS of course delivers the results and is an accurate recreation of the echos and pre amp is included. Would I like a TVS ? Yes indeed.

It all depends on your budget and how much you are prepared to spend on all of this. I have opted for the Stanley Effects units, as these are cost effective and are quite capable of giving the right results, if you apply some good recording techniques.

Same with the Zoom units and other EFTP , all pretty good for reasonable cost, especially for live playing. Even heard the Catlinbread Echorec used to good effect (pardon the pun) .

Same with amplifiers , I have heard great sound files using non Vox amps and modellers and plug ins.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby shadphil » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:29 am

Not everyone can afford a TVS maybe i should have asked is the Halls & collins the best for the money. some still might disagree thanks Phil
shadphil

Postby shadocaster1 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:46 am

Hi Phil, I think the H&C gives you good value for the money, I certainly don't have any complaints with mine, it gives a more authentic echo than the other lower/ mid priced units out there, but still wish that I could afford a TVS3!!.
shadocaster1

Full Real Name: Kev Scrimshaw

Postby shadphil » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:52 am

Hi Kev, the thing is i don't want to be having to dial in the settings every time. just want to go up & down on a pedal board thats why i mentioned the H & C thanks phil
shadphil

Postby shadocaster1 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:01 am

In that case, in my personal opinion of the echo units that I've heard, then the H&C gives you the best quality echoes, it's simple to use, and it also has the Meazzi preamp to boot. Cheers Kev.
shadocaster1

Full Real Name: Kev Scrimshaw

Next

Return to Gear