HALLS & COLLINS ECHO

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: HALLS & COLLINS ECHO

Postby dave robinson » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:30 am

Now you have changed the question I'd say possibly, but it's a close call between the H&C and Blue Nebula. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby John Brown » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:00 pm

shadphil wrote:Not everyone can afford a TVS maybe i should have asked is the Halls & collins the best for the money. some still might disagree thanks Phil

I would say it is the best value for money and very easy to use. If you haven’t got loads of money to throw at an effects pedal like me, the H & C is the way to go.
Best Regards
John
John Brown

Full Real Name: John Brown

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:17 pm

These cheapest option of course is the Blue Nebula with foot switchable patches and display and a small footprint on pedal board . Almost half the price of the H & C which of course is very good too , but quite a big unit .
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Teflon » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:06 pm

The much missed Steve Reynolds made a comparison video using a number of echo units which may help you decide. Unfortunately it doesn't include the Blue Nebula or TVS3, but is does include the H&C unit. To my ears, there's precious little difference between most of them, so I I'd be inclined to go for the option you consider gives best "bang for your buck".

I should add, although Steve doesn't mention it in the video, he clarifies in the comments section that the units are demoed in the same order as he introduces them, so Zoom G3 first, H&C second etc. Personally, I've opted for a Zoom G3X from Ebay, as it was a) cheap :D ; b) has potential to to do a lot more than just echoes; and c) is very simple to setup and use. Bear in mind though, you will likely need to add the cost of echoes from Ross Hall at £80.

I dare say that the TVS3 gives a more authentic sound, but for me, the Zoom is close enough to keep me happy and I really can't justify the expense of the TVS3. If I was in Daves position though, with his playing ability, I think I'd find the funds from somewhere!! I suppose you have to ask yourself if you'll be content knowing there's a potentially better unit out there - you could find yourself constantly upgrading, which would likely cost more in the long run than just buying a TVS3 :)

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby dave robinson » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:23 pm

I had to think long and hard about investing more money into this at my age, but selling my Watkins Copicat IC400 vari-speed, Klemt Echolette, AC30, H&C and a few expensive pedals that I had accumulated allowed me to buy the Meazzi and TVS3 without any cash outlay so that's how I did it. I bought and sold the Klynstrom Echo Master (Blue Coconut) at a profit too and never looked back. It was a wrench parting with some of that stuff but I had to be realistic and I knew it wouldn't get used again so I put my business head on and went for it. I had just purchased another Strymon Volante, having had a bad experience trying to go the 'budget' way with the Nux Tape Core. That taught me the value of quality and having a chat with Paul Rossiter revealed there was a TVS3 up for grabs at half price so I made an executive decision to get it, even though I had found a Meazzi Echomatic. It's good to be in a situation where you can hear for yourself what others have been saying and it's proved well worth the while to me.
Out of the things I sold I broke even, losing on two of them but gaining on others - swings and rounabouts. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby shadphil » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:36 pm

Thanks for all your comments, does the nebula have installed shadows patches like the H & C ready to plug and play thanks phil
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:47 pm

shadphil wrote:Thanks for all your comments, does the nebula have installed shadows patches like the H & C ready to plug and play thanks phil

Yes it does plug n play as they say ! :D
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:33 pm

I had the Blue Nebula and thought it was great competition for the H&C and knowing what I know now having had experience of both I would go for that because of the price alone. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:40 am

Teflon wrote:The much missed Steve Reynolds made a comparison video using a number of echo units which may help you decide. Unfortunately it doesn't include the Blue Nebula or TVS3, but is does include the H&C unit. To my ears, there's precious little difference between most of them, so I I'd be inclined to go for the option you consider gives best "bang for your buck".

I should add, although Steve doesn't mention it in the video, he clarifies in the comments section that the units are demoed in the same order as he introduces them, so Zoom G3 first, H&C second etc. Personally, I've opted for a Zoom G3X from Ebay, as it was a) cheap :D ; b) has potential to to do a lot more than just echoes; and c) is very simple to setup and use. Bear in mind though, you will likely need to add the cost of echoes from Ross Hall at £80.

I dare say that the TVS3 gives a more authentic sound, but for me, the Zoom is close enough to keep me happy and I really can't justify the expense of the TVS3. If I was in Daves position though, with his playing ability, I think I'd find the funds from somewhere!! I suppose you have to ask yourself if you'll be content knowing there's a potentially better unit out there - you could find yourself constantly upgrading, which would likely cost more in the long run than just buying a TVS3 :)

Cliff

Listening go those here the Hall & Collins was the most authentic, bearing in mind the research and how new it is compared with most of the others.
That said I achieved more satisfactory results with the Zoom G3x than can be heard here, though this isn't poor by any means, but you can get more from it. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:34 am

If I may add my usual thought here, it's not just the unit you use, it's the way you play your guitar. You will never sound like vintage Hank if you don't play the way he did in those days.

If you do, it's worth comparing the various units out there. If you don't, get one you like and can afford because it really will be good enough. That's definitely my advice to myself!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

PreviousNext

Return to Gear