HALLS & COLLINS ECHO

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: HALLS & COLLINS ECHO

Postby dave robinson » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:54 pm

Totally agree Len, it's something I tell people all the time, just enjoy the music, that's why I got into it all those years ago.
I enjoy using all my different gear to play my music and happily accept how it sounds. I've mentioned many times that you can set up a single tap echo to do the job and it would please 90% of normal punters. It's the 10% that make up the 'sound police' that stress you out. :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby emielvisser » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:54 am

Dave, it is good to see that after all your misery you have picked up the thread again, enjoy the music and enjoy achieving a satisfactory result with different equipment and being satisfied with it.
From the age of 12, when I first heard Apache, I have been building guitars, amps and tape echoes from old tape recorders. I also made the pick ups of crystal earphones myself, result, enormous hum, I knew nothing about grounding .....
As Len gives an insight into his gear, so do I.
After several Fender Stratocasters, an Atlantis 1 echo, an AC30 with Blue Dogs, and I don't remember how many other delays and amplifiers,
I now do it with two self-assembled Stratocasters with pickups from Donlis (China), a ZOOM MS50 with the Tape Echo effect and a Fender Champion 40 with a Jensen Falcon 50 speaker.

I quot Len:
"None of them would satisfy what you call the sound police, but they sound good to me"

Regards,
Emiel
emielvisser

Full Real Name: Emiel Visser

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:49 am

My H&C will be up for sale soon, I'll let you guys know when.

(I recently tore up my Sound Police membership card ...)
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby emielvisser » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:16 am

You're right, what is the next step?
emielvisser

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:05 pm

It'll be on eBay next weekend, I'll post a link on the Marketplace section when it's listed.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby emielvisser » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:52 am

I actually meant which echo unit are you going to use when you sell the H&C?
Last edited by emielvisser on Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
emielvisser

Postby clivea » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:50 pm

Hi Steve,
As a matter of interest mate, why are you parting with the H&C?

Clive
clivea

Full Real Name: T Clive Aspinall

Postby C-C » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:06 pm

Hi, Dave
I already have a HCSE.
And been offered a Tvs3.
Are the TVS3 Echos pre set for early Echos or do you need to adjust settings.
Carl
C-C

Full Real Name: Carl Craig

Postby dave robinson » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:03 pm

My advice, if you have been offered a TVS3 and you are serious about wanting the exact sound of those Shadows records - BUY IT !
The TVS3 has the echoes programmed by title of the track on many of them. There are knobs to increase echo volume and feedback, should you feel the need.
Personally I think Paul has got it pretty well right. He has listened and taken the uncertainty away, all you need to do is select a patch and play.
I'm sure Paul can explain it all better than I can and I think he'd be delighted to help you.
The difference between the H&C and the TVS3 is subtle but the TVS3 nails the tone, where the H&C needs something to make it sound 'right'.
I've mentioned it before. I call it 'fine margins' but to me those fine margins matter. I wasn't convinced until I bought my own Meazzi at the beginning of February and when it arrived and I fired it up, a whole new chapter of my working life began. The Meazzi in the chain without using the actual echo makes any echo pedal sound 'right', it's that pre-amp. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby scouserjoe2 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:33 pm

Carl,

I would agree whole-heartedly with Dave's advice. If you've been offered a TVS3 at a good price and you're looking seriously to 'nail' the effects element of the sound then, yes, buy it !!

It's hard to describe the added benefits of the TVS3 over other units and I only became a 'convert' when Paul Rossiter sent me some special sound files comparing the TVS3 with the alternatives I had at the time. The differences between the TVS3 and other machines are subtle but important - difficult to describe but you do hear that extra 'Meazzi' dimension in the sound. I had an H&C at the time I bought what was my second TVS3 and I felt that there was a big difference between them; whether it was me or the system I was using I don't know but I always felt that there was distortion added to the H&C patches that I wasn't too keen on.

If you buy the TVS3 make sure you get all the paperwork that comes with them - including the instructions. You need to understand just how it works because it reacts to your style and weight of playing. I didn't get the full benefits out of my first TVS3, and it was only when I discussed buying my second TVS3 with Paul did I understood just how all the input level and other control adjustments work. If you don't get all the paperwork then just ask either Paul or one of the other TVS users here. I am sure they would be happy to oblige with copies.

Best of luck

Ian
scouserjoe2

Full Real Name: Ian Evans

PreviousNext

Return to Gear