TVS3

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

TVS3

Postby C-C » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:00 pm

Hi,
Thanks to Dave and Ian for their advice in getting me to spend some money and go for a TVS3 that I managed to get eventually.
I have got to say I am very pleased with the Echo unit.
My friend who was going to sell me his changed his mind and decided he was not selling, I guess I can't blame him.
There is one for sale in Queensland in Australia but with Vat and Custom tax plus postage it was too dear.
Then I saw one that just been posted on Reverb and bought it.
At first it was a little dull sounding so I changed the preamp tube as I didn't know when it was last changed.
The Valve that was in was a JJ 12AX7 While I am waiting for a replacement valve I found a new "TAD 2075 WA" in my valve spares
and as the manual says any high grade preamp valve is OK, I replaced the old one.
If this is Wrong I hope Paul will Let me know,
But it sounds a lot smoother.
Regards
Carl.
C-C

Full Real Name: Carl Craig

Re: TVS3

Postby fenderplucker » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:59 pm

Hi Carl,

I presume that you meant TAD 7025 (not 2075). This is a premium version of the 12AX7 and should be fine.

The TVS3 certainly shouldn't sound "dull" so If you have any further concerns please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby C-C » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:31 pm

Hi Paul,
Yes you are right I should have written 7025.
since I have fitted the new valve its a better signal, Don't know how long its been in.
The serial number is in the 3,000s so I don't know when it was assembled.
Regards
Carl
C-C

Postby dave robinson » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:26 pm

These are expensive machines but they also deliver the sound that we all try to achieve. I have tried loads of different machines with good results, but never quite the right one for what I was seeking.
My own one stands me at £1700 as I had a bit of tax to pay that I thought I'd been excused, but DHL paid it to make the delivery fast, it was posted in Perth WA on the Monday and on the following Thursday at 10am I was playing with it. The tax was £165. Well worth the money for me. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby C-C » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:04 am

I was lucky the TVS3 I got only cost me £1500, bought in UK so no extras fees.
As you say its an excellent machine and I enjoy working with it.
If in the future If I did want to sell it I won't loss money on the purchase.
I am 75 in August with few years to go.
When you look at all are friends that have passed, May as well get best gear and enjoy while we can.
I still have a lot of Echo units in my studio - HCSE - ESE Echomatic - Blue Nebula - Ross's EFTP Patches with G3
Zoom RFX 2200 with EFTP; but the Zoom is mostly used for Effects.
Regards
Carl.
C-C

Postby AlanMcKillop » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:03 am

I also managed to get hold of one just before Christmas and I’m extremely pleased. Having had every EFTP unit since the Quad + and a number of others from other independent makers, I would have hated not to have tried one before my playing days ended. I think the purchase prices mentioned are in the ball park, however, when we all pass from this time I wonder how many people would be interested in acquiring such a unit? While there is an active interest there will be willing purchasers but as a lot of us are in our 70’s, how many are coming through the ranks to take on the mantle? Anyway, make the most of it and get as much pleasure as possible from a great unit.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby dave robinson » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:24 am

I made a mistake with my costs, I just revisited my account for this and by the time I've settled the import charges the total cost will be £1560 - I'd added the charges twice. happy days. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Ernie L » Mon May 31, 2021 11:18 pm

Part of the difference between the H&C and the TVS3 for the Long Tom (and possibly Meazzi) patches, seems to be the echo tone shaping. They don't sound quite the same. The TVS3 echos have a narrower spectrum, centering on 1KHz, whereas the H&Collins is broader - the narrower TVS3 echo spectrum seems to give a singing quality - the narrower band of the echo repeats sing behind a played note, whilst not interfering with it. This is not to say that one unit is more or less accurate than the other for the machines that they were based upon.
Ernie L

Full Real Name: Ernest Lamprell

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:32 pm

I have to say that Ernie understands this perfectly and that is a good explanation on what the 'fine margins' consist of that I'm always going on about. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby C-C » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:49 am

HI,
At the moment I have been using my TVS3 in my studio , I was thinking of getting
Flight case so I can safely carry it around. The smaller the better.
A friend is letting me have a 1U flight case but I am not sure using it in a 1U would
give the required air ventilation for the heat dispersion of the TVS3 _ If any ?.
What do you guys use to transport your TVS3s around.
Regards
Carl.
C-C

Return to Gear