Pick query

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Pick query

Postby TimRyland » Sat May 01, 2021 4:45 pm

Out of interest, how much pick do you have showing when you play? I’ve a feeling I’m holding it wrong with a lot of the tip showing which is leading to my difficulty with the Apache gallop. I’m aware it’s a personal thing, but just wondered anyway.

Thanks,
Tim.
TimRyland

Full Real Name: Tim Ryland

Re: Pick query

Postby dave robinson » Sat May 01, 2021 5:35 pm

When I play tunes such as Apache with intricate pick action, I find that I achieve more control by having as little of the pick showing as possible with the strings just skimming my flesh.
I imagine everyone has their own preference but that's how it works for me. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun May 02, 2021 1:55 am

I will try that, I imagine it would work for me too. Probably has more effect than changing the thickness of the pick, as even the thick ones flop about if you don't hold them properly - and I've never held mine properly! Always used three fingers instead of two.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby Stuart » Sun May 02, 2021 6:58 pm

For fast repetitive pick work like the Apache gallop ,I find it is easier and gives less string resistance if you twist the pick slightly to the side so that the natural curve of the pick's point rides over the strings with less resistance than it would when the side of the pick runs into the string and stops dead!
Try it.
Stuart

Full Real Name: Stuart Watson

Postby RogerCook » Wed May 05, 2021 10:45 am

I prefer Dunlop Jazz 3 size and shape picks. I aim to have less than a third of the pick projecting. I think it's as much about how you hold the pick and how you use your picking hand though. I try to think of moving the pick by articulating from the wrist. I've seen players who appear only to move the finger and thumb but I find it impossible to have any fluency with that method. Also, I like to keep my hand quite compact rather that having my (non pick holding) fingers extended and try to avoid bracing my hand/wrist/fingers too firmly on the guitar body.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Return to Gear