Boss Katana100 MK2 Head

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Boss Katana100 MK2 Head

Postby grochamedeiros » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:23 pm

dave robinson wrote:
grochamedeiros wrote:Hello folks.

I'm thinking bout getting a BOSS Katana for my Shadows tones.
I really want something more authentic without breaking the budget.
But how does it works? You just plug the guitar in, use the clean amp settings and work with the EQ?
Or you have to download patches of sounds of VOX amps and plug it in the computer and all that stuff?

Thanks in advance!

You say that you don't want to break the budget, so I would be interested to know what type of amp you're currently using.
As you may have read on this thread, I had great results from just using a Katana Mk2 head which gave me the amp sound as well as all the echoes I needed for Shadows stuff, just by taking time to understand how to do it using the link up to my computer.
It's a while since I had mine and I have since sold it and moved on, so I don't remember too much about how I did it, but it was good.
The reason I sold was , I went down the route of buying a TVS3 that came up at the right price, as well as a Meazzi Echomatic.

Hi! I'm currently using the JMI AC30 simulation on the Zoom G3X through a brazilian brand (Tagima) 50W amp.
It's a good sim and i got good results from it but it has its limitations.
Agropecuária, música e automobilismo
grochamedeiros

Full Real Name: Gabriel Medeiros

Postby dave robinson » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:43 pm

I'm not sure how the Tigama amp would colour the sound as I don't know it so can't comment, but I use the AC30 setting on my Zoom G5n straight into a FRFR speaker and direct into the mixing desk and it sounds as good as a real AC30 ever did. I work this way all the time now and rarely use my AC30, other than to have a play in the studio.
Regarding your own sound, if it isn't broke, why try to fix it ? ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby David Martin » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:04 pm

I've been following all this with interest. I too have used the MKI head to great effect, but needed a 2x12 cab for my purposes which negated the convenience of the head format... So i eventually changed to the 100 watt MKII combo. Fast forward to the present and, given my poor health, I've had to give up playing in the band and need to go smaller and lighter again, so the 100 watt MKII combo is now for sale and I've replaced it with the new Katana MKII 50 EX combo... smaller, lighter and will drive the, splendid, GA-FC foot controller which also gives the combo the additional memory locations and extra effects of its bigger brother. Still got the 12inch speaker but is a light one handed lift. And it takes all the patches I wrote for the MKIs. I can recommend it to you...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby grochamedeiros » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:09 am

dave robinson wrote:I'm not sure how the Tigama amp would colour the sound as I don't know it so can't comment, but I use the AC30 setting on my Zoom G5n straight into a FRFR speaker and direct into the mixing desk and it sounds as good as a real AC30 ever did. I work this way all the time now and rarely use my AC30, other than to have a play in the studio.

Thanks for the advice, Dave. I may do just that.
grochamedeiros

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:36 pm

David Martin wrote:I've been following all this with interest. I too have used the MKI head to great effect, but needed a 2x12 cab for my purposes which negated the convenience of the head format... So i eventually changed to the 100 watt MKII combo. Fast forward to the present and, given my poor health, I've had to give up playing in the band and need to go smaller and lighter again, so the 100 watt MKII combo is now for sale and I've replaced it with the new Katana MKII 50 EX combo... smaller, lighter and will drive the, splendid, GA-FC foot controller which also gives the combo the additional memory locations and extra effects of its bigger brother. Still got the 12inch speaker but is a light one handed lift. And it takes all the patches I wrote for the MKIs. I can recommend it to you...

It was only on the later Mk2 100 version of the head, that I found all the required parameters to set up the Meazzi style echo patterns as it has many more features that the Mk1. Can you tell me if the Mk2 50 has those same features David?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby David Martin » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:50 am

Not sure which parameters you mean... either describe here or email me a patch and I'll tell you if it works!
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby grochamedeiros » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:08 am

dave robinson wrote:I'm not sure how the Tigama amp would colour the sound as I don't know it so can't comment, but I use the AC30 setting on my Zoom G5n straight into a FRFR speaker and direct into the mixing desk and it sounds as good as a real AC30 ever did. I work this way all the time now and rarely use my AC30, other than to have a play in the studio.

Hello again, Dave! Do you have specific settings for certain tunes on the AC30 sim on the G3x?

Thanks!
grochamedeiros

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:36 pm

I don't save settings any longer, I work them out by putting some time in and use my ears. It's the only way to learn. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Previous

Return to Gear