Zoom G1Xon

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Zoom G1Xon

Postby dave robinson » Thu May 27, 2021 7:27 pm

Well this little pedal turned out to be quite a surprise for me today, as it was something I picked up very cheaply at £35 and my expectations were pretty low.
I took interest because of it's connection with the G3 and at the price thought it a safe bet to have a go at programming it with Shadows sounds. I put a dozen programmes on there to give me the tools to do my work with Past Masters and I took it to our first rehearsal in over nine months. It absolutely breezed through our set list, from rock ands roll to Four Seasons, Beach Boys, Shadows, Beatles, Everley Bros, James Bond, Gary Moore - the lot. Also I can tell you that the sounds were first class and at one point one of the lads commented that the Meazzi might be redundant before I've even got it back from Amanda, who is doing my mods, the echoes are outstanding and the sound is far more authentic that could have been achieved with the older Zoom & Alesis units, heaven knows we tried hard enough. I wasn't aware of the G1Xon until one of our members mentioned it, but it seems there are quite a few options out there of devices similar to this, not too expensive that will do a great job compared to the prices of a few years ago for similar kit. I've mentioned this before, but I'm convinced that there are new more powerful chips going into this gear today and it has brought the price spiralling down for the days of a Q20 which was deemed the top dog by many for quite a few years.
Nowadays that mantle is definitely owned by TVS, as their attention to detail is perfect in every way, but those machines come at a high price and only a few of us are lucky to own one, but although a massive difference in price between TVS and the Zoom products, the difference in sound is not as wide by any stretch of the imagination and I think that someone who is not an expert would be satisfied by the sounds these modestly priced units deliver. Put it this way, the gap has narrowed somewhat from what were 'digital' sounding or 'sterile' to some people and are now more 'real' for want of a better word. At the end of the day, you pays your money, you makes your choice. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Zoom G1Xon

Postby bob t » Thu May 27, 2021 8:43 pm

That's great to hear Dave, when I saw you were programming the G3 I thought that the G1Xon might have possibilities which is why I asked you if they would work on the G1Xon.
I have some patches already done on mine but knew with your expertise you would be able to get a lot closer to the echoes /sounds than I ever could.
Look forward to hearing what you achieve
Cheers Bob
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Postby dave robinson » Thu May 27, 2021 9:09 pm

I'll have a look at the software Bob and try to get them shared, though I did notice this afternoon that I need to adjust the level on at least one of them to match the rest.
The actual stomp boxes on the G1Xon are the same as the ones on the G3 and the MS100-BT, which makes it understandable why they sound so good. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby bob t » Thu May 27, 2021 11:20 pm

Yes that's understandable Dave as I think the G1X on was a forerunner to the G3
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Postby emielvisser » Fri May 28, 2021 9:59 am

That's why I like my Zoom MS 50 so much, loaded with the effects I like and even six at the same time...
emielvisser

Full Real Name: Emiel Visser

Postby Ian Miller » Fri May 28, 2021 11:12 am

It looks as if the Zoom G1on/G1Xon have been discontinued. They are no longer listed by Zoom & I couldn’t find any in shops. I did see a few used ones available at rather inflated prices. So it does seem they have been replaced by the G1Four/G1XFour which in my opinion are far better!

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby TimRyland » Fri May 28, 2021 1:07 pm

I’ve got the G1Four, with echoes from eBay, and must admit it sounds really nice. I think for the price it’s difficult to beat. I use it with my Joyo AC Tone, then into a DAW on my iPad and get very satisfying results.

Tim.
TimRyland

Full Real Name: Tim Ryland

Postby Ian Miller » Fri May 28, 2021 2:23 pm

I quite agree Tim, I’ve had mine since they first came out and for me, the best budget echo pedal around!

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby chaddman » Fri May 28, 2021 3:55 pm

I am a big fan of Zoom Pedals. I foolishly let my G3X and G1Xon go when I got a Blue Nebula but have since replaced them both and added a G1four to my collection. All of the pedals do a good job but have different pro`s and cons. The G3X and the G1Xon has room for 100 Patches while the G1four only has room for 50 Patches (more than enough for most people) and like the G1Xon you can select up to 5 Effects per Patch unlike the G3X which you can use 6. With the G1four you need to use 2 Effects for an Amp Sim 1 for the Amp and another 1 for the Cabinet leaving 3 Effects left for your Patch (but the Amp Sim`s sound much better) and you can set the Cabinet for Dedicated Headphone Use and the Effects seem to sound better to my ears. Both the G1Xon and the G1four have Aux input`s for Backing Track`s etc while the G3X does not. So there you have it all the Zoom Multi Effects pedals are great value for money IMHO and the G1Xon was a steal at the time especially when used with Tonelib Zoom (probably why they stopped selling it) and it`s a pity Tonelib Zoom doesn`t work with the G3X. Hope this is of help to anybody thinking of getting any of these Pedals.
Cheers Phil.
chaddman

Full Real Name: Phil Holmes

Postby Teflon » Fri May 28, 2021 10:24 pm

chaddman wrote:............ Both the G1Xon and the G1four have Aux input`s for Backing Track`s etc while the G3X does not. .........

Whilst the G3X doesn't have a dedicated auxiliary input, it does feature USB connectivity with audio interface, which allows you to connect it to a pc/lap top/tablet etc for use with backing tracks. I hate folk listening to me practice (if you heard my playing you'd understand :lol: ), so I connect my G3X to my Surface Pro, plug headphones into the Zoom, and play along quite happily to UB Hank etc :) .Great for recording direct to PC etc as well. I've no idea if the other Zoom products have this feature - I would assume at least some of them will have.

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Next

Return to Gear