Zoom G1Xon

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Zoom G1Xon

Postby mart77 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:37 pm

Thanks for the advice, I’ve gone for the Zoom G3XN. Does anyone have any patches they would be willing to share?
Thanks
Martin
mart77

Full Real Name: Martin Yarwood

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:23 pm

mart77 wrote:Thanks for the advice, I’ve gone for the Zoom G3XN. Does anyone have any patches they would be willing to share?
Thanks
Martin

I'm doing some patches for the G3Xn right now. I'll make them available when I've got them onto files. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby jimt855 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:03 pm

I would like to post a big shout out to Dave, for all his help in putting his patches on a Zoom G3N. Very patient and knowledgeable, thanks very much.
Jim
jimt855

Full Real Name: James Tyler

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:02 am

With the help of two splitter boxes, I routed my guitar to the Zoom G3Xn and my TVS3 and then each of those echo boxes to my Boss Katana which had an AC30 sound set up clean. Using the two boxes I was able to play along with my BTs and switch from one each to the other as I was playing. When compared beside each other with no BT contaminating the sound, the TVS3 sounded spot on to the Meazzi we all know and love, with it's beautiful chattering repeats clearly audible. The Zoom sounded just very good and acceptable, but without the subtleties and nuances in tone.
However when the track was playing it was difficult to tell them apart, which is the purpose of the debate about cost and whether or not it's worth the money to buy the TVS3. Personally I enjoy playing through my TVS3, knowing that it sounds that close to the original sound, but I equally enjoy playing through the Zoom (or any other similar device) and having people tell me it sounds like the original, often because they assume I'm using the TVS3 and very often, after I've explained that I'm using the Zoom or whatever, they will say that they can tell and the sound isn't quite right. The truth is that if they could tell, they would surely challenge the sound BEFORE I tell them what I'm using.
That my friends, is what we are faced with every time we play in front of the self appointed experts. In truth I don't think they can tell at all and it has been proved times many that there are people that just like you to think that they can tell the difference when I know damn well that they can't, because neither can I most of the time.
Does it matter ? Not really, but what matters more to me is that people enjoy the music and strive to play better and improve in their performance and learn from mistakes, which I'm doing on a daily basis.
I have put the time into making these patches to help people do just that, allowing them to concentrate on playing rather than worrying about whether the echo is right or not.
From an entirely selfish point of view it's also helped me pass the time in lockdown and helped my progress in getting over the effects of chemo which for the last nine years has been a daily battle, but I won't let it win and this project has given me purpose, as well as helping me gain a lot of knowledge and talk to some good people.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby emielvisser » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:07 am

Dave,
Great to see that you find so much fun and satisfaction in experimenting with the different echoes and believe me, I know what you meant!
I'm very curious about the patches for the Zoom, I hope you want to show them here when you're done with it.

Regards,
Emiel
emielvisser

Full Real Name: Emiel Visser

Postby dave robinson » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:20 pm

I didn't intend to do any recordings of myself because is is a well worn road and there are only so many times one can play Apache & Wonderful Land and seriously expect people to react.
However I am aware that people are interested in what possible differences there are with the vast price points being the issue here.
I'm still waiting for my Meazzi to return, but before I sent it to Amanda, it did sound terrific and I liked what I heard, as I said here, there's a massive tonal thing ruling the sound from a Meazzi.
I think if I was to demonstrate the subtle or otherwise differences between the TVS3 and the Zoom G3n by way of using the A-B splitter boxes, with and without a backing track, it should satisfy the curiosity of those who are wondering if the extra money is necessary to spend to achieve what they see as their own goal.
Personally I have an interest in both camps because I like to save people unnecessary expense but I also appreciate perfection, so I win - or lose on both counts, whichever way you see it. One always has to be mindful that music is a fun pastime and I have benefitted greatly these past few years in particular, as it helped me get through the trauma of cancer and the subsequent treatment.
I will never, ever look upon this as a contest simply because there is room for everyone at whatever level and every device at whatever price, my goal is to help people achieve theirs as cheaply as possible and show the differences where I can. Emiel, I will consider what to play and how to present this demonstration, if anybody has any ideas on what would be a good test piece, I would love to hear from you. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby chris mcbain » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:54 pm

Hi Dave
Totally agree with your last post I have also had the big C and the big wake up call and managed to come out of it at the other end , my playing is not so good but who cares it keeps me happy and out of trouble.

Chris
chris mcbain

Full Real Name: Christopher Mcbain

Postby dave robinson » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:05 pm

chris mcbain wrote:Hi Dave
Totally agree with your last post I have also had the big C and the big wake up call and managed to come out of it at the other end , my playing is not so good but who cares it keeps me happy and out of trouble.

Chris

So you know where I'm coming from then.
At one point during the treatment I could no longer play, my fingers were paralysed. This was back in 2013/14 and I really thought I'd played my last gig.
All I will say is - refuse to be beaten and practice 'til it hurts, it does work in the end. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby emielvisser » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:25 am

Dave.
Perhaps it is less trouble for you if you show us the values of the patches like level, feedback, mix, time.
I am sure that will help many of us to set the patches the right way.
Thanks.

Regards,
Emiel
emielvisser

Full Real Name: Emiel Visser

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:26 am

emielvisser wrote:Dave.
Perhaps it is less trouble for you if you show us the values of the patches like level, feedback, mix, time.
I am sure that will help many of us to set the patches the right way.
Thanks.

Regards,
Emiel

No that isn't happening, people wanting that information should do what I did and do some research.
I found most of it reading Paul Rossiter's explanation of echo machines on the TVS Speciality Products site and figured it out from that.
The other way is to open up my patches on the Zoom device and it's there to be seen. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Gear