Boss GT-100

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Boss GT-100

Postby Bartgitaar » Sat May 29, 2021 2:59 pm

Hello everybody. I'm new here from today. I have a question about the Boss GT-100 echo unit. Does anybody have any experience with this unit ? Is it suited for Shadows music ? I mean, does it have a multi-tap echo like in Wonderful land ? Thank you.
Bartgitaar

Full Real Name: Bart Van der Auwera

Re: Boss GT-100

Postby dave robinson » Sun May 30, 2021 10:08 am

I haven't had my hands on one but if the necessary heads are present should get good Shadows echo by programming.
My Boss Katana MK2 has the facility of four heads and the echoes on that are terrific, so I imagine that the technology will be very similar on the GT-100.
If you PM me I'll happily advise you of the timings and levels required. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Sun May 30, 2021 1:41 pm

Usually these type of multi effects units permit utilising say 6 or more effects at once, so if they have a tape echo type sound , you can use say 4 tape echos and time them etc to make a multi tap style delay. I would think the Boss capable of that sort of thing.

Only thing to bear in mind with usinb 4 delays like that , is they may well be in series, and that can pump each following delay from previous. This therefore is going to produce a different amount of echo in each delay as they run through each other. If there is a dedicated multi tap delay that will be better.

I have the line 6 Helix stomp and it has 6 and 4 head multi tap delays . If you make taps from 4 separate tape delays it does not sound right due to being in series. I got around this a little by putting 2 delays each into left anc right mixer paths , but still some series feeding issues .

Best download user manual to see what the Boss can do .
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby leddo » Sun May 30, 2021 2:02 pm

the Boss GT100 (and the GT001) allow you to use series or parallel effects paths. Anything you can do with the Katana you should be able to do with the GT100. Best to use the downloadable software editor. There already are Shows guitar patches in the free Tone Studio. They are not the best but they are a good starting point for getting a passable Shadows/Hank sound.
leddo

Full Real Name: Phil Lynch

Postby dave robinson » Sun May 30, 2021 2:11 pm

I would be careful of expecting too much from the Boss library of Shadows patches, I know someone who bought a GT-100 especially because of those patches and was disappointed and immediately sold it on. He said it was awful with those patches.
However if you know what you are doing I'm sure that you will be able to program good Shadows type patches :( as long as the parameters are there to edit. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby leddo » Sun May 30, 2021 2:22 pm

The point I was making is that you CAN edit the Casting A Shadow patches to your own tastes. They are a good starting point. To sell a GT100 because you don't like a few patches does seem rather extreme.
leddo

Full Real Name: Phil Lynch

Postby Bartgitaar » Sun May 30, 2021 3:35 pm

Thanks everybody for your replies.
I checked the manual, and the parameter guide, but I can't seem to find anything about a multi-tap delay. Only a Pan delay and a Dual delay. If nobody has any experience with this unit, I'm having serious doubts on buying one.
Bartgitaar

Full Real Name: Bart Van der Auwera

Postby dave robinson » Sun May 30, 2021 10:22 pm

leddo wrote:The point I was making is that you CAN edit the Casting A Shadow patches to your own tastes. They are a good starting point. To sell a GT100 because you don't like a few patches does seem rather extreme.

The guy who bought the GT 100 and tried the Casting A Shadow patches is a well respected and good guitarist and has used many good units and knows his echoes. He got rid because they are way off the mark and after checking them out I agree entirely with him in his decision to ditch them. I have scrutinised them and it's easier just to use the correct echo timings and levels than use those as a base. You can't polish a turd. :|
My own Boss Katana 100 has been programmed with Echomatic 1 & 2 patches and they sound amazing, so it is doable on Boss equipment. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Return to Gear