Tonelab Settings

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Tonelab Settings

Postby clivea » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:29 am

I have a Vox Valvetronix Tonelab (blue desktop model).
There is a level setting knob on the back and on the top there are Gain; VR Gain and Ch Volume knobs.
I'm not sure how to correctly set these.
Could anyone pls advise?

Quad 2 > Tonelab > Behringer Xenyx 802 Mixer > Steinberg UR22 MkII Interface > Mixcraft DAW

Clive
clivea

Full Real Name: T Clive Aspinall

Re: Tonelab Settings

Postby Tab » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:44 am

To get a good vintage sound I set them as follows;
Rear up to 3/4 of max, Gain 11 o'clock - VR Gain 2 o'clock - CH Vol 11 o'clock Presence 11 o
clock. Treble Mid and Bass mix to suit the Q2.

Matched with the Q2 you should get an excellent sound. The Q2/20 is second only to the TVS in my opinion.

Good luck.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby clivea » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:22 am

Thanks Terry, I appreciate your advice mate.
I’ve never owned a traditional amp. I feel that if I had, then l may have found setting the unit up more understandable.
Clive
clivea

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:54 am

With respect to Terry I have discovered that the Q2 is most likely the problem as these units are not designed for guitar input signals which I found to my cost back in 2000 when I bought a brand new one and quickly dispatched it again because I immediately noticed the sound had been compromised.
The Quad GT however is a different animal and matches perfectly with a guitar.
The problem is that the Q2 loses all the 'soul' of the guitar and produces a sterile tone that ended up costing people thousands of pounds and lots of stress back in the day. One person is still trying to make pedals to give 'That Sound' to make up for the shortfall of these devices. Without question, the only person to have succeeded is Paul Rossiter with his TVS models.
Terry is correct about the TVS3 being at the pinnacle of electronic echo machines, but other than the Quad GT, the Quadraverbs all come at the bottom of the pile after Magicstomp, Zoom, as far down as the humble NUX Tape Core pedal that I picked up for £45. The next best to the TVS3 in my experience is the Atlantis 1 which I was lucky enough to be able to do A/B comparisons until recently selling mine. Similar tests with an Alesis Q2 were a million miles apart and clearly the reason Hank got rid for the TVS3. The only way to get a Q2 anywhere near the tone required is to feed it through the TVS circuit which gives it some life. Paul Rossiter designed his TVS1 originally for that purpose but quickly decided to build the whole thing which developed into the TVS3.
I have a Vox Tone Lab LE which is very good as I programmed it with all the Shadows echoes, but it has been replaced with the humble Zoom G3n which has a superior computer chip and delivers what no Quadraverb ever could. The cost is minimal to what it used to be, it's called progress. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby clivea » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:59 am

Very interesting Dave.

Clive
clivea

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:05 am

Yes indeed it is interesting Clive I've spent the last three months redesigning my Zoom patches since I got the TVS on the Meazzi and have realised that I can get these closer and the people who have them are all delighted. So much so that I will probably use my Zoom G5L with those same patches, rather than the Meazzi or TVS on stage. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby clivea » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:43 pm

Do you have any sound files for comparison Dave?

Clive
clivea

Return to Gear