Making a Katana sound like another amp

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Making a Katana sound like another amp

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:42 am

The uTube video below, is someone trying to make a Katana sound like a Fender amp and does a good job. He makes his patch file for Katana free to download on uTube link.

Most amps have a Preamp and tone stack curve which shapes the sound of the amp amongst other things. Fender and Vox have this mid scooped feature in the preamp depending on where tone controls are adjusted. Grab a copy of Duncan Amp Tools software and see this in graph form for yourself. I went through this sort of process in designing my latest Shads Tones for the Katana. I created patches for the main sounds used over the early Shads tunes. By making adjustments to the global eq settings on the Katana, you can shape the sound to match the amp quite well.

You can then after getting the Katana sounding more like a Vox , make EQ adjustments in the effects section and use compression and boosters to get the right tones, The room reverb is great with some pre delay and if course Tape echos an be employed. I prefer to use a dedicated external echo though, as this frees up effects on the Katana for the other effects.

https://youtu.be/SDPcC1MmkQ06
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Re: Making a Katana sound like another amp

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:24 pm

Another route we could use is profiling amps , the most obvious being the Kempler Profiling Amp. It is more costly, but produces great results. Obviously you need a reference amp and set it up to give sounds you want to profile, such as AC30TB for Burns , AC15 Series 3 brilliant etc.

Once you have obtain the amp sound you want to profile , the below video shows how it is done on a Fender amp. We could do profiles for the key Shads amp tones and share those in the community. Imagine having all the Vox amp sounds for Shads in one box ! Might be costly for some , but having close representations of vintage amps might be cost effective overall, especially when you look at the cost of say an AC30 Vintage amp costing upwards of £3000. :?: :idea:

https://youtu.be/dYgOcPm-f1w
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Return to Gear