Guitar Wireless Systems

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Guitar Wireless Systems

Postby Stuart » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:45 pm

There seems to be a misunderstanding about delays on wireless systems.Modern wireless systems are digital and generally have a small signal processing delay in the region of a few milliseconds and does not change with distance.However this small delay is no is more than the time that sound takes to travel from speakers to your ears when you are right next to your amp.The delay introduced by most wireless systems is insignificant and about the same as taking 2 steps away from your amp.The delay that you hear when you go walkabout with your new wireless system is due to the time the sound takes to travel to you in your new position.Sound only travels at about 3 milliseconds per metre so when you stand 35 feet away in front of your band the sound arrives at your ears about 30 milliseconds later.Then when you respond and play along it takes another 30 milliseconds for your amps sound to reach you so the mismatch in timing is now 60 milliseconds......All due to the speed of sound. And not the wireless link.You can check that this is just the same with a suitably long lead and walking away from your band whilst playing. I used to do this to soundcheck our band and was always amazed at how disjointed my playing sounded when at a distance.
Those of you who study echo delay times will appreciate that a 60 millisecond delay is in the slapback echo type and offputting when you hear your instrument that much later. Not the wireless system causing it though. Sound travels at only about 1 foot per millisecond.
I have been using a cheap rechargeable wireless system for rehearsing made by Lekato and using wifi frequencies it has proved very noise free and reliable although I do not use it for live gigs as there is the remote possibility of channel cladhes with unknown local equipment.
Stuart

Full Real Name: Stuart Watson

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:39 pm

Yes correct Stuart , a similar thing happens when at large concerts, they put a speaker towards the back of crowd's, to get the sound at distance. They usually have to put delay on the speaker signal to keep it in time with the stage speakers.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:47 pm

I would add that, if you are moving around a large venue with the freedom of a wireless system, all the time-lag problems go away if you monitor electronically — foldback speakers near you or in-ears — rather than listen through the air. That’s because electrical energy travels well over 500 times faster than sound does!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby SJB » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:06 pm

I have used the Line 6 Relay G30 for several years now. I have had no issues with others using the same system - we just select different channels.
At our shadows club I have noticed that I can use the Soundcraft Ui16 Wi-Fi control all afternoon - but in the evening when the people turn up and the phones come with them - no chance.
This is also the case when the radio links are used on stage. These affect the Soundcraft control. We mostly end up reverting to cables - I think because the combination of the phones and the different radio links and then again people getting home from work locally the radio band gets very busy.

My G30 seemed to work well when the others failed - but then one evening someone in the audience fired up his Boss Waz-Air system. That killed everything and none of my G30 Channels would work.

I would say for a band if you stick to the same make and type unit ok - up to the limit of units - otherwise make sure the cables are around.
If your a club that provides the links - then keep to the same make and type. And I think it has been said - Routers can be a problem. Keep at least 3 meters away from them - which can be a problem.

Latency - ok - but the latency adds up when using a Daw or something like a USB guitar interface.

As far as G30 compression - none noticed.
I use the 15 feet cable tone setting on the G30.
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Previous

Return to Gear