Guitar Wireless Systems

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Guitar Wireless Systems

Postby alanbakewell » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:00 pm

I have long been of the opinion that a wireless guitar system has many advantages over a guitar lead.

I have owned and used a couple of these systems and found a great advantage in freedom of movement. Especially playing stadiums as I regularly have. O.K. O.K. The concert room at the club and my conservatory.

What I find a distinct disadvantage is the way the gear seems to colour the tone. I'd best describe it a sort of gain boost.
The difference is particularly noticeable doing an A/B test with a guitar lead.

I've watched, in detail, the YouTube videos demonstrating the various wireless systems. One particular guitar emporium seems not to know what the term "Clean" is. Favouring instead the ZZ Top / AC/DC / Slash tones. None of which I find desirable and none of which shows the comparisons I wish to see.

I'd like to know the opinions of folks who are using or have used wireless guitar systems. Have you found the same "colouring" result as did I, or have you found a system that has no discernible difference from wireless to guitar lead. If so, I would value your opinion. The above comments are my opinion having used both systems.

Cheers, Alan.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Re: Guitar Wireless Systems

Postby petercreasey » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:46 pm

Last edited by petercreasey on Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:48 pm

In my own experience the tone is coloured and it depends whether you like the effect or not. Also, given the temptation to use the freedom of space, it surprises me how little you have to move away from your amp before you begin to notice the time lag. This can slow down your playing and make it hard for the drummer to keep the band in time.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby alanbakewell » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:28 pm

Thank you Peter and Iain. That's what I need to know.

Cheers, Alan.
alanbakewell

Postby artyman » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:46 pm

I've used the Ammoon 5.8Ghz system for the last two years, and it's proved totally reliable (unless I forgot to charge them) playing time is easily 4+ hours I can't say that I've noticed any difference in tone, but then I'm not the worlds greatest player. Certainly saves tripping up !
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby JimN » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:42 pm

I can always detect a compression of the signal (some systems more than others).

And some systems have other unfortunate effects (one I was shown by Indra Rajah at his home in Switzerland completely prevented the DeArmond pedal from having any audible effect).

I'd say that a quality lead is always better for sound.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:55 pm

I've been using wireless since 1984 and have had quite a few different units. The first was a TOA and was the most expensive at around £600, but I used it for a good eighteen years. There were a couple of cheaper ones who's names escape me that did the job and I still have them somewhere
Then came the Samson Airline that I thought was decent for a few years until it failed followed by the LINE 6 which too was good and I still have.
I currently used a cheap 'Muslady' set up that cost about £20 and it does the job.
They all slightly colour the tone and each add varying degrees of compression, which defeats owning real Vox tube amps and Meazzi / TVS3 echoes because you do lose the real sound that these produced on the original recordings, so it's a trade off for freedom on stage. I also noticed years ago that the DeArmond 610 is ineffective with wireless.
Because there is no room to move around, I sometimes used the lead at our pub gig before lockdown and may do so again when we start on July 22 again because I think if I want to try my Meazzi Echomatic or TVS3, I would be conscious of the compression spoiling what I want to hear. In my opinion lead does sound better. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:37 am

Most of the big names use wireless systems and I suppose like all things there are good and bad choices and more expensive better options.

A cable capacitance mimic facility is usually a good feature. I think some do compress the signal slightly. Have thought about getting one , but f9r home and club use a lead is fine. Like most things , recommendations are helpful.

Edit -

Here is a good review of some better units out there with a mention of tone characteristics.

https://performwireless.com/top-6-wireless-guitar-systems-for-pros/

and another

https://oldtimemusic.com/best-wireless-guitar-systems/

Looks like the Shure brand is well thought of. The Line 6 G50 or similar are not too bad even John McLaughlin is quoted as using one I read.

Maybe the Line6 G30 is a good cheaper option with similar to G50 features .

Review of G10, G30 and G50 by Line6

https://performwireless.com/line-6-g10-vs-line-6-g30-vs-line-6-g50-full-breakdown-reviews/
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby nivramarvin » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:48 pm

When I have enough room to move around (and enough time to set up) I sometimes use my Line6 Relay G30. It can simulate the height attenuation caused by cables of different lengths. Otherwise I haven't noticed any change in the sound. Instead of Mignon (AA) batteries, I use rechargeable batteries that last at least two evenings.
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby alanbakewell » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:12 pm

Thanks everyone all advice gratefully received.

Cheers, Alan.
alanbakewell

Next

Return to Gear