Wireless Headphones

For anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units inc eTap plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Wireless Headphones

Postby TimRyland » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:01 pm

After, yet again, getting the lead from my headphones wrapped round the castors of my chair and pulling it out of the socket, I’m wondering if wireless headphones would be an option.

I know Bluetooth ones have to much latency to be useful, but are there any other options that anyone on here has had any success with?

Tim
TimRyland

Full Real Name: Tim Ryland

Re: Wireless Headphones

Postby Jay Bass » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:30 pm

Hi
i have used a pair of senheiser HDR160 wireless headphones for a few years and they work great
no delay, standard AA batteries (i Use rechargeable Batteries ) they work real well and can be picked relatively cheaply
give them a try.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265241987882?epid=112201198&hash=item3dc1a78b2a:g:NdAAAOSwb6Rg~Vfa
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby nivramarvin » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:41 pm

I've been using the Sennheiser HD120 II for half a year but can't really recommend them. The sound is good, but I am bothered by a loud hum, and they compress quite a bit.
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby TimRyland » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:16 pm

This looks interesting, quote 40ms latency in low-latency aptX mode. It’s Bluetooth, but would I notice 40ms latency?

www.amazon.co.uk/TROND-Bluetooth-Transm ... ics&sr=1-2

Tim.
TimRyland

Postby SJB » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:03 pm

Tim - I have a set of Sennheiser HDR 120II's.
These are straight wireless. No Latency.

Hey are ok for just working out stuff - but when playing to BT's - sometimes the peaky nature of the guitar sound affects the automatic level control in the transmitter - so the BT goes quieter.
However if you set reasonable levels I find it useful.

40mS latency is far too long. I find that using the DAW which is 9mS is ok - except when I play something like shadoogie at pace.
I find it easier to play direct - i.e. with the DAW audio unit set to Monitor - or through the amp.

The frustrating thing is that one would think by now there would be a digital set of phones with practically no latency by now.
I think the professional ones and in ear systems are all straight radio. Some require licences.

Try running the headphone lead up to the ceiling hanging straight down. It won't get in the way - but could be an issue if you bend down.
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:22 pm

SJB wrote:Try running the headphone lead up to the ceiling hanging straight down. It won't get in the way - but could be an issue if you bend down.

I agree. Cable beats wireless in my book
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby TimRyland » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:27 pm

Stuart,

Actually that’s not a bad idea. Perhaps not acroos the ceiling, but I think I could knock up some sort of pylon system to keep the cable out of the way.

Simple always wins.

Tim.
TimRyland

Postby SJB » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:35 pm

Tim

Just don't hang yourself. I have been thinking about doing this myself - not the hanging bit though.

Stu
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby Didier » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:10 am

Iain Purdon wrote:
SJB wrote:Try running the headphone lead up to the ceiling hanging straight down. It won't get in the way - but could be an issue if you bend down.

I agree. Cable beats wireless in my book

Long ago I had been offerded a Philips wireless headphone, but I have not used it for years, the sound was very poor.
I have just bought a Hifiman HE400i headphone (using orthodynamic drivers), which give a very fine and balanced sound, but sensivity isn't very hign, a good headphone amplifier is needed.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby nivramarvin » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:36 am

Years ago I had infrared headphones by Sony. I would have liked to keep it, but unfortunately a plastic part on the battery cover broke, a replacement part was not available.
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Next

Return to Gear