Options to lighten our gear

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Options to lighten our gear

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:49 pm

Absolutely. My MarkBass is 12” Neo and holds its own fine. I’m probably just finding it hard to shed traditional assumptions!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Didier » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:30 am

SJB wrote:8 Inch speaker - not much of an area delivering sound.

The Vox AC15 has one speaker - delivering 15 Watts.
The AC30 has two speakers - each delivering 15 Watts.
So the loudness off each speaker is the same. The Ac30 will not be twice as loud - (trying to think of the engineering reason - long time ago - so possibly AC30 is 15% louder)

A 15 watts speaker is not delivering 15 watts, it can receive up to 15 watts without being damaged. This is why the AC30 has two speakers.
The loudness depends on the speaker efficiency, AC30 speakers (Blue alnico) have a very high efficiency (100db/1W/1m), there are no 8" speakers having such a high efficiency, so a 15W 8" speaker can't be as loud as a 15W 12 AC30 speaker...

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Stu's Dad » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:35 pm

I've got a Marshall Acoustic amp, the AS50D, and I use it succesfully as an FRFR device. With a Joyo Actone and/or a Zoom G7.1ut I can easily get the full range of Hank/Shadows tones. I notice that it only has 8 inch speakers - two of them in stereo - and a tweeter. At one time I considered trading up to the 100w version, until I found that it's got exactly the same speaker configuration. I know that 50 or 100 watts in a solid state amp is not the same as it would be in a valve amp, but it's still pretty loud and I just don't understand how 8 inch speakers can handle that kind of volume.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby dave robinson » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:28 pm

We decided to get the Headrush 12" version for our electric drum kit in order to lighten the load of the large, heavy 15" EV ghat we carry.
We tried it last night at our residency and it does the job perfectly and sounded as good as the 15" Electrovoice.
I decided to try it today with my guitar and Zoom G5n and as good as the 8" Headrush is, this 12" version blew me away as it sounds ten times better.
As a result, I'm keeping the 12" Headrush for guitar and we're going for the identical Alesis Stryke 12 which is voiced for the drum kit.
I'll use the 8" for home, small gigs and care homes. :)
Attachments
8B4CF4AB-EE85-4BC3-84AD-E510D15E92DA.jpeg
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:13 am

Stu's Dad wrote:I've got a Marshall Acoustic amp, the AS50D, and I use it succesfully as an FRFR device. With a Joyo Actone and/or a Zoom G7.1ut I can easily get the full range of Hank/Shadows tones. I notice that it only has 8 inch speakers - two of them in stereo - and a tweeter. At one time I considered trading up to the 100w version, until I found that it's got exactly the same speaker configuration. I know that 50 or 100 watts in a solid state amp is not the same as it would be in a valve amp, but it's still pretty loud and I just don't understand how 8 inch speakers can handle that kind of volume.

Len

That's interesting Len, I'll try it with my Joyo Acetone and one of my other echo units and report back with the results. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:06 pm

I tried the Joyo AC Tone with my Atlantis echo and it sounds great, so I'm going to have a play with the TVS3 and Strymon Volante over the next few days and absorb and consider the many options at my disposal now I have the small eight inch version of the Headruush FRFR speaker as well as the larger twelve inch. The key to these speakers is certainly in the voicing of the individual cabinets, as the guitar based versions take the bass equally well. I read that the Alto version has mic preamps whilst the Alesis Strike is voiced especially for drums and from what I have heard so far they do a great job. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:10 pm

I can tell you of my latest trials using the Headrush 8" & 12" speakers with the Joyo AC Tone along with various echo boxes, including the TVS3, Atlantis, Strymon Volante and Zoom G5n & Tone Lab LE.
To say that I am amazed would be an understatement, you have to plug in and play and experience it for yourself to believe what you're hearing. Every one of my echo options sounded fantastic using the Joyo AC Tone to shape the sound, as I did the same thing with the Zoom and Vox Tone Lab, but without the AC Tone, as it isn't needed there.
I can tell you that on the strength of this I have sold (at a profit) my Fender Deluxe & Twin Reverb Tone Masters which I think are very good, but no longer needed.
I have a 90s Fender 2 x 10 Princeton Chorus that is light enough and sounds great also, giving me the option of still using an amp should I so wish. I actually prefer the sound of the old Princeton to the new Tone Masters' as I can dial in the 'grit' of the AC 30 if I so wish. I can DI from the Princeton into the Headrush if we need more level, so all bases are covered, but the main reason I went back to my Princeton is it's compatibility with the TVS3 & Atlantis, they each sound amazing. The 'grit' from the amp really compliments the very authentic echo from the TVS3 and you'd swear I was playing the Meazzi/AC30 combination. How do I know ? Because I have them side by side to compare.
So on I go with this wonderful journey, this massive learning curve. I never thought it possible to be so enthusiastic at this time of life but all I can say is that since buying my TVS3 and Meazzi Echomatic, I have learned how to make the most humble of effects pedals sound closer than ever before. Long may it continue. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby clivea » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:10 pm

I’ve been following the responses to Dave’s post with great interest.
I have a blue desktop Tonelab and would appreciate some advice how to set the level knob on the back of the unit and also the gain, vr gain and channel volume.
I’ve never used a traditional amp.
I mainly play HM modern numbers on the AC15 and 30 settings.
My Quad 2 is fed into the Tonelab, then to an interface going into my computer and monitors.

Clive
clivea

Full Real Name: T Clive Aspinall

Postby petercreasey » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:49 am

dave robinson wrote:I can tell you of my latest trials using the Headrush 8" & 12" speakers with the Joyo AC Tone along with various echo boxes, including the TVS3, Atlantis, Strymon Volante and Zoom G5n & Tone Lab LE.
To say that I am amazed would be an understatement, you have to plug in and play and experience it for yourself to believe what you're hearing. Every one of my echo options sounded fantastic using the Joyo AC Tone to shape the sound, as I did the same thing with the Zoom and Vox Tone Lab, but without the AC Tone, as it isn't needed there.
I can tell you that on the strength of this I have sold (at a profit) my Fender Deluxe & Twin Reverb Tone Masters which I think are very good, but no longer needed.
I have a 90s Fender 2 x 10 Princeton Chorus that is light enough and sounds great also, giving me the option of still using an amp should I so wish. I actually prefer the sound of the old Princeton to the new Tone Masters' as I can dial in the 'grit' of the AC 30 if I so wish. I can DI from the Princeton into the Headrush if we need more level, so all bases are covered, but the main reason I went back to my Princeton is it's compatibility with the TVS3 & Atlantis, they each sound amazing. The 'grit' from the amp really compliments the very authentic echo from the TVS3 and you'd swear I was playing the Meazzi/AC30 combination. How do I know ? Because I have them side by side to compare.
So on I go with this wonderful journey, this massive learning curve. I never thought it possible to be so enthusiastic at this time of life but all I can say is that since buying my TVS3 and Meazzi Echomatic, I have learned how to make the most humble of effects pedals sound closer than ever before. Long may it continue. :)

Try using the Headrush as a monitor Dave, position it in front of and pointing at you with your pedalboard or whatever plugged into it then use the out side of the headrush into the desk ;)
Take care
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby dave robinson » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:57 am

Hi Pete, YesI have done that and it works very well, but you have to watch the gain into the desk, as it is controlled by the level of the Headrush.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Gear