Fender Champion Amplifiers

For anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units inc eTap plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Fender Champion Amplifiers

Postby dave robinson » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:24 am

There's some truth in that last statement, but some of the earlier solid state Fender amps that I tried would not allow me to get those tones that I speak of, which is why I went to the trouble of writing about it here and now and it surprised me to find out what I have learned. Like I said, Fender have upped their game with the budget amps. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby emielvisser » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:23 am

Hi Dave, I did some searching, about 5 years ago I expressed my enthusiasm about the Champion 40 on this site and I am still very happy with this amplifier.
For the living room I bought a Champion 20, which I also equipped with a Jensen speaker, not because the standard speakers are not good, but the Jensen's have more sensitivity and a richer sound.
Regards,
Emiel
emielvisser

Full Real Name: Emiel Visser

Postby Stu's Dad » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:26 pm

I don't think it's just Fender who've upped their game, solid state amps have come on leaps and bound over recent years. You only have think of the Boss Katana, Blackstar TVP amps (which I don't like but they make a good fist of replicating a valve sound), or hybrids like the Vox Valvetronix. And there are the Vox MV50 NuTube amps that I rate so highly I bought two - the Clean and the AC.

Len
Last edited by Stu's Dad on Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby dave robinson » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:35 am

I gigged it tonight at the pub and it sounded spot on. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Gatwick1946 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:45 am

I have seen, heard and played through a set up using 2 small Fender amps ( I think they were Champs) at the Eastbourne Shadows club (then in Seaford), about 10 years ago.

It sounded very goods to my ears. The tech side of things was handled by member of this forum and very good player of Shadows tunes TAB (Terry Bryant).

Kindest regards,
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby TedW » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:49 pm

Hi Dave,
I agree with your assessment of the new Fender Champion range which I augment with a variety of pedals including Blue Nebula and various Zooms. Very close indeed to the tube amps that we are all finding heavier than they once seemed as age creeps on.

Like you I have arrived there via a myriad of amps and echo units bought and sold since 1960 . Amongst my more recent acquisitions was a Katana Mk2 50 which would be handy on occasion, to use in isolation, but I just cannot get close enough to "that sound" both in respect of tonality and the 4 echo heads that you have mentioned.
Having ploughed through many of your splendid posts I have failed to find your suggestions, but given the relative limitations of the amp I am only looking for 4 to save - Apache, Wonderful Land, Flingel Bunt and perhaps Duane Eddy. Can you help please ? Ted
TedW

Full Real Name: Edward Witton

Postby dave robinson » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:40 pm

TedW wrote:Hi Dave,
I agree with your assessment of the new Fender Champion range which I augment with a variety of pedals including Blue Nebula and various Zooms. Very close indeed to the tube amps that we are all finding heavier than they once seemed as age creeps on.

Like you I have arrived there via a myriad of amps and echo units bought and sold since 1960 . Amongst my more recent acquisitions was a Katana Mk2 50 which would be handy on occasion, to use in isolation, but I just cannot get close enough to "that sound" both in respect of tonality and the 4 echo heads that you have mentioned.
Having ploughed through many of your splendid posts I have failed to find your suggestions, but given the relative limitations of the amp I am only looking for 4 to save - Apache, Wonderful Land, Flingel Bunt and perhaps Duane Eddy. Can you help please ? Ted

Where abouts do you live Ted ?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby TedW » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:52 am

Hi Dave,
I am in North Norfolk.
Ted
TedW

Full Real Name: Edward Witton

Previous