Different gear

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Different gear

Postby chris mcbain » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:47 pm

Hello Shads Friends,
I currently use a katona combi amp and a Zoom G3 pedal and when playing a backing tracks use the CD HiFi or my chrome book downloads
but often find by the time I am back into playing position the tracks have started so i am already behind with the tracks, my question what do other people use ? is there
another way to set things up with a bit more control.

Thanks Chris.
chris mcbain

Full Real Name: Christopher Mcbain

Re: Different gear

Postby JimN » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:49 pm

If the audio tracks on a computer (of whatever sort) are editable, you could add 10 seconds of silence to the start of each of them.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby barryg » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:15 pm

I store and play my backing tracks with an app called Songer Pro on my Android based tablet. With Songer Pro you download your backing tracks in MP3 format to a master list and then you can set up playlists and you can change the track playing order and set volume levels for each track. Each track stops when it's been played and doesn't play the next track until it's selected. It also has a lyrics page.
The problem of the track playing before you're ready could be solved by having the Laptop or device within reach to start the track whilst in the playing position, perhaps on a music stand to the side of you or use a foot switch.
The Songer app is about £5 to download and it's used successfully by several players I know.

website. songer.com
Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=songer%20pro

Check it out.

Barry
barryg

Full Real Name: Barry Gillam

Postby artyman » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:54 pm

Yep, another shout out for Songer Pro, great app for doing your BT's
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby Teflon » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:10 pm

I have my backing tracks available on my lap top, and connect my Zoom G3 to it via USB. Headphones into Zoom and I'm good to go without bothering with an amp. If I'm feeling particularly fussy regarding tone etc, (whilst recording for example), then I'll add my Joyo AC Tone pedal into the chain. Everything's within easy reach with minimal cables, and guitar and BT are nicely balanced through the 'phones. :D .

Cliff

Edit: Oh, and the Zoom takes it's power from the USB connection, so no need for a power lead :)
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby Sothall Mike » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:10 pm

I too use Songer Pro for all my backing track playing at home. A great system and once all the tracks are loaded on to it - it make practicing and learning new numbers a breeze. I have mine on a tablet which I attach to a music stand below the TAB Sheet music - so there is no problem with starting or stopping the track. I plug it into a mixing deck to get the best overall sound quality.
Sothall Mike

Full Real Name: Michael Kilner

Postby TimRyland » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:13 pm

All my backing tracks are on my iPad in Audioshare. The ones I want to practice I copy into Anytune Pro. I control the playing of my tracks via an IK Multimedia Blueboard footswitch.

I use a Zoom G1Four into my Vox VT20+, the phones output then goes through an Apogee Jam into my iPad so I can play along to the backing tracks. Anytune Pro is a great app, you can alter pitch/speed, have multiple loop markers and adjust gain for individual tracks.

For recording I use Multitrack DAW on my iPad, another superb app.
TimRyland

Full Real Name: Tim Ryland

Postby chris mcbain » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:23 pm

Hello Shad friends,
Thank you all for giving me some tips and advice on different set ups, i've not heard of the Songer pro but will check it out ,
and also the use of a tablets, different apps, mixers, and set ups etc which is varied across the posts I will now try and find the best for me at a sensible cost.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and advice.

Chris.
chris mcbain

Full Real Name: Christopher Mcbain

Postby RogerCook » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:14 pm

I have MobilesheetsPro running on an Android tablet. It's really software for managing setlists, chord charts or sheet music/tab, but it will also manage backing tracks. I use it with a bluetooth page turner pedal.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby artyman » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:22 pm

Another android App is LyricPad, I use it mostly for lyrics, but you can attach a sound file to play as well.
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Return to Gear