Echo . . . . . .

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Echo . . . . . .

Postby dave robinson » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:50 pm

Today I went to set up my gear for tonight's gig at The Royal Oak where we play every Thursday in Barlborough, not far from my home.
It's more of a get together rather than a serious gig for Past Masters, as we try different stuff and often have deputy members in the band when someone is missing doing a 'proper' gig, but we enjoy it which is what music should be about.
I decided to take my TVS3 to use with my new Fender amp and Rapier 33 reissue, just to see if I would be even more impressed, having checked out the Rapier last week when I bought it. We ran through Apache, Theme For Young Lovers, Wonderful Land and Going Home and compared the Zoom G5n which sounds great, with my TVS3.
To use the term 'chalk and cheese' would be very accurate because just by switching from the Zoom to the TVS3, everything else set the same, there was a magic that filled the air that made us gasp with disbelief at the difference in sound quality. I remember Spike once describing the TVS, saying that it 'sings' and that is what we all thought when I switched from the Zoom to the TVS3. As I said the Zoom sounds great and unless you hear the two immediately one after the other you possibly wouldn't remember, but it was a massive eye opener for us today. I now understand what people pay the money for when buying a TVS3. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Echo . . . . . .

Postby dave robinson » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:20 am

We did the gig with a room full of people and I was disappointed that I couldn't hear the same 'magic' in my guitar as I played in a noisy room, but I had the video camera stood at the back and recorded the second set and I'm relieved that the sound was captured on that.
It just goes to show that a full house of people at a gig can make a difference to a perceived sound, but just because the subtleties disappear in the mayhem, it doesn't mean they are no longer there. That was an interesting experiment. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:06 pm

I learned that lesson the negative way some years ago! We were doing a gig, we were too loud, the room was too noisy and my bass playing was naff in places. I thought I’d got away with it in the general hubbub. A few days later I heard a recording made at the back of the room…
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Stuart » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:11 pm

Yup! Human bodies make the most perfect sound absorbers ,completely deadening the room acoustics.After all we are all just heavy, soft and irregularly shaped bags of water so are perfect for deadening room resonances.The more bodies in the room the nearer the band's sound will represent the truth.
Personally, I used to hate this dead sound when I was younger but I now prefer it as it lets you hear the true sound of your gear and what the audience is actually hearing.
Stuart

Full Real Name: Stuart Watson

Postby artyman » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:58 pm

Yeah the church sounds totally different when the congregation are in as against practice beforehand.
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby fenderplucker » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:40 am

There is no doubt that the acoustics of the environment affect the perception of the echo loudness as well as the overall sound. In particular, if the environment is quite reverberant then the echoes can get lost and the echo level will probably need to be increased a bit but not the duration since this will just lead to a muddle. Similarly, in a crowded venue the level of background noise will tend to mask the echoes to some degree and they might need to be adjusted a bit. In a very dry acoustic environment it may be necessary to increase the echo duration a bit to get a more singing effect. I suspect that it also depends upon where you are listening since the reverberant and direct sound fields vary according to location. That is the main reason we put controls for echo level and duration on the front panel of the TVS3, so that the sound can be tailored to the environment without having to change patch settings. It is also why it is meaningless to specify where to "put the knobs" as so many ask, and also why a sound check in an empty venue might not be ideal once the venue fills up. The sound desk in concert venues is always located in the middle of the listening space for a good reason.

Any wonder it is hard to get "That Sound" in a live performance, quite apart from the Abbey Road influence!

Paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Return to Gear