Beginner amp advice

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Beginner amp advice

Postby Learig331 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:27 pm

Hi all

I'm looking for advice on a suitable amp for someone early on in their learning. Not for gigging or busking but for learning but also one that they won't grow out of in a year to 18 months or so. It doesn't need to be able to wake the neighbours but should sound reasonable so as not to discourage him.

Budget is up to £200

Thoughts?

Will
Learig331

Full Real Name: Will Cormack

Re: Beginner amp advice

Postby artyman » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:27 pm

Boss Katana 50 is around that figure, or perhaps a Mk1 version second hand. I have the 50watt Mk1 and you can get some nice shadows sounds for it. Well supported Facebook groups as well, it also has 25watt and 1/2 watt settings for home playing. I also have a Fender Mustang V3, which is 100 Watt (also heavier) I've no experience of the updated latest version, but mine is a good workhorse

Some examples
https://youtu.be/7z4xDcfyoKQ
https://youtu.be/A4bZ_rNoPG8
https://youtu.be/_VtXcXtq6E4
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby Stu's Dad » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:40 pm

If they're serious about learning and are reasonably computer literate they won't go far wrong with a Boss Katana 50. They can start with it just as a plug and play and scale the output down as far as 1/2 watt - or use the headphone socket. Then if they want to grow with it, it can be connected to a computer and programmed with most of the Boss FX and EQs to fine tune the sound. It's a bit over £200 but they should be able to pick up a used one for less. Most owners stick with them but upgrade to more powerful models so they do come on the market.

There are other suitable amps like the Vox VT series or the Fender Champions but having owned them all I would say the Boss is the most versatile.

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby Tone » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:14 pm

+1 for the Katana. A very versatile amp and also easy to lift and carry.
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Postby Learig331 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:23 pm

Thanks all. The Boss was high on the list of potential buys so the endorsements here are a vote of confidence in it.
Learig331

Full Real Name: Will Cormack

Postby skye » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:49 pm

Hi Will could have a Boss Katana 100 for sale if interested
Ray
skye

Full Real Name: Ray Field

Return to Gear