Neural DSP Quad Cortex

For anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units inc eTap plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Postby dave robinson » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:49 pm

The Quad Cortex would undoubtably give some satisfactory emulations of what any guitarist needs at any given time, but skill and talent are needed to get the best of the £1500 that you will pay to own it. Please don't take that statement lightly, because without skill and talent it could sound awful.

I have had the earlier, but very similar Helix as I have already said and it's just as expensive, in fact they are now arguing which is better between the two.
I ditched it after the thing crashed, I cannot have stuff failing mid show. I went back to my Vox ToneLab LE and also enjoy my Zoom G5n (the Zoom Gx3 is just as good) and I continue to use the Zoom despite owning the magnificent TVS3, Atlantis and Meazzi machines. Why ? because the Zoom and Vox Tonelab do the job with no fuss and are inexpensive by comparison. I will use my prize assets at selected gigs, but our weekly pub gig doesn't qualify for that.

My recent purchase of the Spark now looks a magnificent piece of business at £230, as I can get the exact amp sounds required, be it AC30, Matchless, Mesa Boogie, Fender Deluxe/Twin, Marshall, Orange - ANY, at superb accuracy as well as being able to DI into our mixer or my studio. As I've said already, the on board FX are excellent for chorus / tremolo / fuzz etc and the only thing I would add is my TVS3 if I wanted perfection.

It is not likely that I will be able to do a demo on the Quad Cortex, as I would need it here to programme and test, so we're stuck with the YouTube demos for now, but I won't be losing any sleep, as it's just another very expensive gadget that has hit the market featuring the latest Hi Tech available that we have had on our computers for ages. Basically, it's the stuff you buy for the computer in the form of 'plug ins' that has been 'boxed' and re-sold as hardware and as I have already outlined, many will not be able to understand what's needed to make it 'sing'. For 99% of people on this site, I would not recommend buying it. :idea:
Last edited by dave robinson on Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Garystrat » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:08 am

Hi Stuart,

There is no them and us, when you start using digital pedals and computer software it is a different technology, but with one or two exceptions for music creation the principals are pretty much the same.

I don’t know if this will be of any help, but it’s great video of how Dave Monk sets up his Korg AX3000G pedal for “Atlantis”, with modern pedals the displays are more like computer screens rather than a physical layout of knobs adjusting LED displays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSylKngTsi8

Then if you watch this video for Helix Native you can see it’s doing pretty much the same thing, but is far more advanced in terms of display and how you can manage it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmDpy5dqkEY

Don’t worry too much about the terminology, this all comes with time!

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby SJB » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:37 pm

Cheers Gary.
With regard to us and them - I was really just thinking the difference - us mostly go clean them seem to always go distortion. I recall being in a music shop - Parents wanting to buy little Johnny a guitar to learn on and being demoed one full on distortion. They just looked at the guy playing and walked out.
Back in the 70's I used Brittania Row audio (London) for hiring stuff. They used to Red Star the kit from London to South Wales - so I could ring up - and receive it say 3 hours later.
For a stage show I wanted to automatically drop background sound effects when people spoke. So I wanted a stereo compressor with a control input - to be driven by a mic.
My usual contact was not available. I spent ages trying to get this across to the person on the other end - then my usual contact came on and immediately said it will be on the next train. So I asked him what should I have asked for - he said - Oh these young guys have names for the bits of kit - they don't understand the tech bit they just know it does stuff - so your compressor is called "A Ducker".
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby RJMiddel » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:56 pm

alanbakewell wrote:
dave robinson wrote:
golw wrote:Just found these on their cloud done by a gentleman named Robert Middel, don't know if he is a member here
EFTP 01: Apache
EFTP 06: FBI, Man of Mystery
EFTP 09: Flingel Bunt
EFTP 10: Foottapper, Dance On
EFTP 13: Wonderfulland
EFTP 14: Kontiki, The Savage, Shadoogie
EFTP 15: Peace Pipe, Atlantis, Young Lover
EFTP 21: Deerhunter, Argentina

These are stolen EFTP patches, nothing more.

Agreed. And if memory serves from the Zoom RFX 2000 / 2200

I did not steal them from Zoom RFX-2200.
Once I boght Helix patches for SHadows and I just took over the settings for the NDSP Quad Cortex. Don't call my a thief please.
Fender Stratocaster USA, Zoom RFX-2200, NDSP Quad Cortex.
RJMiddel

Full Real Name: Robert Middel

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:52 am

Those patches are clearly titled EFTP so they are stolen, end of story.
'Took over the settings' = stolen, it couldn't be any clearer. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby RJMiddel » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:39 pm

dave robinson wrote:Those patches are clearly titled EFTP so they are stolen, end of story.
'Took over the settings' = stolen, it couldn't be any clearer. :|

They are not stolen. I took over settings nor from EFTP, but from some patches I bought for Helix Stomp. I only called them EFTP for myself to recognize which one is for what. I also own a EFTP Zoom 2200.
Fender Stratocaster USA, Zoom RFX-2200, NDSP Quad Cortex.
RJMiddel

Full Real Name: Robert Middel

Previous

Return to Gear