Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Postby golw » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:10 pm

Has anyone tried the above unit to get the Shadows sound?
golw

Full Real Name: Gwyndaf Williams

Re: Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:09 am

No and I seriously doubt anyone would want to lay out in excess of £1500 to take that gamble when you can do it at a fraction of the cost. It looks similar to the Line 6 Helix which I had, used and eventually rejected because it crashed mid gig.
At around £150/200 the Zoom G5 or G3 can get you as close as the Helix and I've programmed all the echoes for those free of charge to anyone who needs them.
The best by far is the TVS3 and you can buy a used one for around the cost of the unit you speak of. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby emielvisser » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:15 am

The Zoom MS-50, only £ 88, in combination with the Fender Champion 40, light weight and great sound!
emielvisser

Full Real Name: Emiel Visser

Postby golw » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:15 pm

Just found these on their cloud done by a gentleman named Robert Middel, don't know if he is a member here
EFTP 01: Apache
EFTP 06: FBI, Man of Mystery
EFTP 09: Flingel Bunt
EFTP 10: Foottapper, Dance On
EFTP 13: Wonderfulland
EFTP 14: Kontiki, The Savage, Shadoogie
EFTP 15: Peace Pipe, Atlantis, Young Lover
EFTP 21: Deerhunter, Argentina
golw

Full Real Name: Gwyndaf Williams

Postby MeBHank » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:42 pm

golw wrote:Has anyone tried the above unit to get the Shadows sound?

I'm not sure which part of the brain the Neural DSP Quad Cortex is but if it's sensory then there's a chance we all do.
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:23 pm

golw wrote:Just found these on their cloud done by a gentleman named Robert Middel, don't know if he is a member here

These are stolen EFTP patches, nothing more.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby alanbakewell » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:03 am

dave robinson wrote:
golw wrote:Just found these on their cloud done by a gentleman named Robert Middel, don't know if he is a member here

These are stolen EFTP patches, nothing more.

Agreed. And if memory serves from the Zoom RFX 2000 / 2200
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:33 am

I had a quick look at some of the reviews on YouTube of the Quad Cortex and it is most certainly another version of the Line 6 Helix modeller. That said, I know from experience that you need a lot of knowledge in the field of programming and I feel that for bedroom players this would not really be a success, as most seem to want the numbered echo patches associated with the Quadraverbs & Magicstomps of the past. The Quad Cortex is not that.
Sadly, most of the demos on YouTube lean towards the distorted type guitar sounds rather than our early 60s echo based tones.
I am in no doubt that someone knowledgeable would most certainly be able to get a satisfactory sound including the echoes but doubt that it would equal the accuracy of the TVS3.
I do intend to try one when I get to a music store that has one in stock and I will report back from there when one appears locally. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Garystrat » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:05 am

This is actually quite interesting, it seems the be the logical way forward to the newer technologies based on increased processing power of quad core processors, according to this video it’s powerful enough to handle effects processing for several individual players. It also seems to have Kemper like capability to capture tones from real world kit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP1uHfSXUys

The emphasis seems to be on reactive feel and cabinet tones, I can relate to this as I have been experimenting with Helix Native (DAW Software) combined with Celestion’s Speaker Mix pro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffTpxLgmB-c

For those familiar with IR (Impulse response speaker cabs) SMP’s dedicated DSR’s are capable of providing non linear characteristics, which in terms of feel and tone subtlety are much closer to the hardware speakers natural responses. It can also use, blend and enhance standard wave IR files. It also has extensive built in parametric EQ'ing and many other tone shaping features.

In terms of amp/effects simulation the technology certainly seems to be closing the gap on conventional kit!

The link to to new demo version of Speaker Mix Pro which gives a generous 14 day to try it out is below:

https://www.celestionplus.com/product/c ... b8523427e3
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby SJB » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:08 pm

Once again a demo full of distortion. I have just started to look into using distortion and realise one could take a very long time getting what I want - which will grossly interfere with practice. Seems the whole world of effects is a minefield - and one will never get on top of it or satisfy everyone with your settings.

So I am looking at it this way with todays players - there is us and them. Us have specific needs - and them are on their own and speak their own language. The jargon used is amazing - Gary has explained a bit.

I am looking at Sacha at this time. I use the G3x - not got anywhere near what I want after a few hours.

So is the Cortex now a similar price in relation to the units available in the late 50's and 60's?
In all probability the Cortex will do for us -Dave will let us know. Will it sort the duff notes?
Is it reliable? Who will repair it if needed? How many years will it be supported?

Looking forward to a demo from Dave if he would be so kind.

Hope 2022 will be a better year for everyone.
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Next

Return to Gear