Q: What to do to a Squier CV Strat to improve Trem

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Q: What to do to a Squier CV Strat to improve Trem

Postby Tigerdaisy » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:08 am

I wondered what members do to a Squier Strat CV to improve the performance of the tremolo? Obviously locking tuners and better string trees but what third party tremelo would you fit, also which locking tuners will fit into the headstock holes without drilling them out?
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Re: Q: What to do to a Squier CV Strat to improve Trem

Postby JimN » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:35 am

What problem does the Squier CV Strat have, which you would be seeking to address?

In my (relatively long) experience, problems with Stratocaster-type tremolo bridges are usually fixable by good set-up practices (perhaps especially with regard to the string gauge).

What is the guitar currently doing which you'd rather it didn't, or failing to do that you'd rather it did?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Tigerdaisy » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:11 pm

JimN wrote:What problem does the Squier CV Strat have, which you would be seeking to address?

In my (relatively long) experience, problems with Stratocaster-type tremolo bridges are usually fixable by good set-up practices (perhaps especially with regard to the string gauge).

What is the guitar currently doing which you'd rather it didn't, or failing to do that you'd rather it did?

Well I prefer using 9s which I find easier to bend...I don't really want to use 10s. I've used Strats for many years but never bothered to use the trem as generally one finds they go out of tune- yes I know it can be a nut problem, string trees or even a tuning peg 'problem'. I did wonder if many Squier users changed the actual trem system...?
Tigerdaisy

Postby Egelund » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:57 pm

Hi Martin

Among my more expensive stratocasters, I have a new squier classic vibe 50. special run, fiesta red with gold hardware.
I did change the tremelo , block to wilkinson.
I changed the tuners to Goth gold, as I had them in stock.
And I had the guitar completely shielded with copper.
This is a demo, with this particular guitar and my band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=564USIWY75Y

regards
Niels
Egelund

Full Real Name: Niels Egelund faddersbøll

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:46 pm

I bought a Classic Vibe Strat last year and fitted a Wilkinson WV-PC trem because I like the smooth feel of it when resting my hand on it. I had it in a drawer as I'd bought it to use on another budget Strat but never got around to it.
I'm particularly fond of this type of trem because my Brian May guitar has one, as does my PRS, so I have been familiar with their benefits for a few years. They never seem to lose tuning and always feel comfy and they have a thick and hefty block which I believe helps the sound somewhat.
That Said, my friend has the exact same instrument with the original tremolo still fitted and that too stays in pitch, so as has been said earlier in the thread, it's all in the set up. My friend is an expert in guitar set up so I'm not at all surprised.
On my Classic Vibe Strat, I would add that the stock tuners and nut work perfectly and any nut given a bit of TLC and a smear of lubricant will always perform trouble free. I used something from Planet Waves similar to the American 'Nut Sauce.
On the subject of strings, I now use 9/42 Ernie Ball Super Slinky on my Strats, simply because the chemotherapy weakened my hands quite a bit and it helps the string tension though changes the voice of the guitar a little, for which I compensate with my amp set up.
The 25.75" scale feels good with those strings, but on my Rapier 33, Brian May & PRS which are 24" scale, I still use 9/46 Hybrid Slinky because the tension is workable for me. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby John Boyd » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:33 pm

I too replaced the trem with a Wilkinson unit-full steel block and push fit arm. I didn't use the Wilkinson saddles as I had some spare Fender ones in the parts box.
John Boyd

Full Real Name: John Boyd

Postby Tigerdaisy » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:18 pm

Thanks guys for all that information- it's very helpful! I just got rid of a new SIRE S7 which I didn't like- couldn't see the neck markers at the angle I play at, going to get another Squier CV Strat. The SIRE is a good guitar, although I also didn't like the humbucker at the bridge- Its the best set up guitar out of the box I've ever bought...
Tigerdaisy

Return to Gear