Saddle height screws

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Saddle height screws

Postby rogera » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:50 am

I simply grind down the lower end of any saddle screw that is too long and then round over the end.

That allows you to achieve the exact length you want.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby BarryH » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:23 am

Roger's method of grinding down the screws will work "if" you're perfectly accurate with your grinding.

Anyone trying this method must be aware the end of the screw must be ground absolutely flat. If it's not, it will act act like a cam, going up and down as you turn it. Best way to do it is get one of the newer solid saddles, put the screw into this and make sure the end is ground flat and square with the body of the saddle.

Cheers
Barry
BarryH

Postby rogera » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:53 am

Hi Barry - I understand what you mean about leaving the base of the screw flat, but what I went on to say was that I then round off the end to a dome shape which avoids that problem.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby Stranded Albatross » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:57 pm

JimN wrote:If the required length screws are available for them, could you just buy a set of USA saddles?

JN

Hi Jim
Many thanks for your suggestion.
You're right, and I did have this as an "if all else fails" plan, but I really didn't want to spend £20.00+
on US saddles if I could help it and then have a redundant set to add to my already overstocked junk box. She who must be obeyed would take a dim view of that.
Cheers
Ian
Stranded Albatross

Postby Stranded Albatross » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:00 pm

neil2726 wrote:Im sure we would all like to know the source who gave good service?

I have contacted the supplier who I think is a very small business and asked if he would be happy for me to pass on his details. Problem solved satisfactorily for less than £4.00. Thanks to all for suggestions.
Stranded Albatross

Previous

Return to Gear