Advice Needed re "White Noise"

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Advice Needed re "White Noise"

Postby Gruntfuttock » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:59 pm

My set up is Boss Tuner to HCSE to Tech 21 Liverpool to Gemini lll to TC Electronics HOF Reverb.

Suddenly I’ve started to hear a loud “White Noise” which increases when the gain is increased on my Amp (Katana Head) or on the Tech 21. (Amp is silent when the guitar lead is unplugged)

I’ve checked cable connections, and they seem OK. I’ve tried two different Tech 21’s and a ACTone and the “White Noise” seems the same with each of the three pedals.

The set up had been fine for a few years, although at various times I’ve tried different pedals.

The “White Noise” suddenly started while I was playing, and I really don’t know what else to try. Any advice would be very welcome!

Many thanks,
Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Re: Advice Needed re "White Noise"

Postby pjr » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:54 pm

Not being flippant here but have you tried simply plugging directly into the Katana and turning up the gain?
If you've eliminated the pedals one by one then it's the only thing left in the chain - and I have heard of faulty Katanas!

cheers,

Pete
pjr

Full Real Name: Peter J Richardson

Postby Gruntfuttock » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:11 pm

Thanks Pete. It’s 01:00 here, so I’ll give that a try tomorrow.
Thanks again. Dave
Gruntfuttock

Postby MeBHank » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:04 pm

I've had the same sort of issue with more than one unit: two MagicStomps and a Joyo AC Tone. Sounds like it could be a capacitor on its way out, and it could be any piece of kit. It's also a common complaint of amps. My AC30 needs a new smoothing capacitor - has done for years.

A faulty capacitor in a MagicStomp was the cause of a hiss which bugged me whilst making just about all of my 'Lockdown Sessions' videos.

Pete's right: plug directly into your amp. If the hiss is gone then try each pedal individually.
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby Gruntfuttock » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:42 am

Thanks Justin. Very much appreciated.
Gruntfuttock

Return to Gear