"White Noise"

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

"White Noise"

Postby Gruntfuttock » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:23 am

Further to my earlier posting, and following some advice that I had received.

I plugged a guitar directly into my 100W amp on full volume and gain. Pure guitar no “White Noise”

I followed the same procedure for each effect pedal and similar result - until I tried the HCSE. This is where the “White Noise” is coming from. It doesn’t make a difference if all controls are extreme left or right, or if the unit is switched on or not, or which patch is selected. I experience the same “White Noise”

I swopped out the power cable but this made no difference.

I swopped the power supply 12V AC 1000A

I would imagine that there is an internal component on the blink.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the above?

Many thanks Dave
Gruntfuttock

Full Real Name: David Michael Redknap

Re: "White Noise"

Postby pjr » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:01 am

I seem to vaguely recall hearing that those units - the early ones anyway did have a noise problem owing to a component failure after a while.
Email Charlie or go onto his site and perhaps you can get more info there.

Good luck with it,

Pete
pjr

Full Real Name: Peter J Richardson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:18 pm

I had a problem with mine and called Charlie who told me to send it back to the maker who replaced a part at the cost of £25 if I remember correctly. It came back working perfectly. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Gruntfuttock » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:40 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've already contacted Charlie Hall and also Derek at HCSE Support. The problem is that I am in Japan and to send this unit to UK and return is about £110 - without the cost of the repair! I previously had a problem with the "On/Off" light, and managed to fix it with details instructions from HCSE Support. Here's hoping!!
Gruntfuttock

Postby Gruntfuttock » Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:21 am

I contacted Derek at HCSE Support. He was very helpful. Long story short. At Dereks suggestion, I have removed the printed circuit board and have sent that to the UK to be updated. Apparently there was a modification after the initial batch. My unit is 000330, so missed out on the mod.
So in the fullness of time all will be sorted! All I have to do is to remember how to re-install the PC Board!!
Dave
Gruntfuttock

Postby pjr » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:11 am

I always take a few pictures before and as I dismantle anything. It can save alot of heartache when you're putting things back together. :)

Pete
pjr

Full Real Name: Peter J Richardson

Return to Gear