Hank’s Rosewood fretboard Stratocaster. Figured Maple?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Hank’s Rosewood fretboard Stratocaster. Figured Maple?

Postby abstamaria » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:40 pm

Roberto Pistolesi, in his wonderful book That Sound, wrote that Hank‘s and Bruce‘s rosewood fingerboard Stratocasters were identical, except that Hank‘s had a birdseye maple neck. Would that be accurate?

In an interview, Hank said that they didn’t get to choose their guitars, but that JMI just sent them the matching red Stratocasters. He mentioned JMI replaced the set at least once as the guitars tended to get beaten up. That gave the impression that the rosewood fingerboard guitars were standard models, so I wonder if Hank’s indeed had a figured or birds-eye maple neck.

Does anyone remember?

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Re: Hank’s Rosewood fretboard Stratocaster. Figured Maple?

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:17 pm

If you look at the thread “Cover Stars” there is a photo of HBM and BW both with rosewood neck Strats.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby rockinscott » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:35 pm

It looked like a striped or tiger maple pattern. I have seen photos over there years where it is pretty clear. https://images.app.goo.gl/VXkhYX2jxLTB4HvRA

Just a quick google search I found that one. Also his trem arm was much shorter than Bruce's, similar to 34346 in length. I'm guessing both are just luck of the draw.

Scott
Mighty Mighty Pleasing Papi's Corn Squeezing, Mercy... White Lightening
rockinscott

Full Real Name: Scott Stannard

Postby abstamaria » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:18 am

Thank you, Iain, Scott.

The photo you found clearly shows the stripe pattern, Scott. I had read about the shorter trem arm, but wasn’t sure till now that Hank’s 2nd Stratocaster also had a figured maple neck. Now I wish I had one!

Best wishes from Manila,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Return to Gear