Pompeii PE603

For anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units inc eTap plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Pompeii PE603

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:57 am

dave robinson wrote:

https://www.boss.info/global/promos/space_echo/

This pedal is almost identical to the Nux Tape Core @ under £60 . . . . . :|

Correct Dave, but it may prove to be better with no glitches :D . The older Boss RE201 was very noisy I seem to recall. Maybe they will get it right this time ? Wonder what price they are going for ?

As for the Pompei device, there are other pedals on the market that are cheaper and as good.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:32 pm

I have no further need to be looking these days since I acquired my Meazzi Echomatic and the TVS3, but I have used the experience of having these, in order to make better patches for the modestly priced Zoom G3/5 and a few others.
I still rate the Strymon Volante since I got to grips with how the head spacing works, it is all you'd ever need to play Shadows stuff, providing you understand how to get those head spacings and the correct saturation levels that I think is key to the tone.
Paul Rossiter has captured all of that in the TVS3 and I'm privileged to have choices between several great units.
The Pompeii, Boonar and a few other Binson based units do recreate the Binson very well, but it isn't what Hank recorded with on the tunes that matter, which is why I have no interest in them.
I saw another device recently that is supposed to be the dogs doo dahs, the Meris Polymoon at about £285, there are some on eBay already. I wouldn't mind playing with it to see what it offers, but like the Strymon Timeline that I bought, it will probably disappoint. Only the Strymon Volante at £400 got close in my recent investigations, which is what makes he Zoom G3 and the rest of their stuff so attractive.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:00 pm

You have to make the best of what you have and what you can afford. The TVS is top notch, but never had opportunity to play through one.

I think a few basic things are needed to get to the right sounds.

1. Correct echo timings and levels
2. Preamp sound and EQ
3. Boost.
4. Overall EQ (studio)
5. Vintage pickups and a strat.
6. Vox amp tone and correct settings.

The more of each of these ingredients you add , the closer you get.

The boost element is one that is incorporated into the TVS and some echo units provide a means to drive the echo and the amps pre amp. I have found that a good clean boost pedal does enhance the sound a lot.

I have tried several ways to do this and after much deliberation and gut instinct , I recently bought a Wampler Tumnus deluxe pedal. It is based on the Klon Cenatur which go on ebay for siliy money (£3000 - £5000)

Comparison videos on uTube put the Wampler very close matched.

Whilst the Tumus is an overdrive pedal , it is often used to bring out the guitar sound (boost) and does it in a way where it does not change the guitar sound other than to beef it up .

I tried it out at home and the club and the sound was so much better. So if you have a good sound it just improves it. The gain on the pedal does not really come in till around halfway , so it gives a lot of volume and saturation and makes it more juicy.

Of course boosting with pedals has been done for years with different results, such as treble boosters and Tubescreamers etc, but a clean boost that does not fundamentaly change the sound is desirable for Shadows sound.

The Tumus is great at boosting without changing your core sound. I am pleased with my finding and it helps out with other echo units in my view.

I bought the deluxe , but they do a cheaper model in small footprint. It's my 'always' on pedal now on :idea:
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Previous

Return to Gear