New Boss Re-2 compact Space Echo

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

New Boss Re-2 compact Space Echo

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:45 pm

Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Re: New Boss Re-2 compact Space Echo

Postby leddo » Tue May 31, 2022 8:44 am

has anyone bought one of these yet? Just wondering how it compares to the Nux tape core pedal which had lots of love from folks on this forum a few years back.
leddo

Full Real Name: Phil Lynch

Postby Tigerdaisy » Tue May 31, 2022 9:35 am

I may be wrong but as I understand it HBM didn't especially think that much of the original unit these pedals are replacing...
Tigerdaisy

Full Real Name: Martin Kay

Postby dave robinson » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:52 am

The Roland Space Echo in any form is a good machine it's own capabilities, but does not have the correct head positioning for the Shadows sounds. Hank made do with it because there were not too many multi-head machines around from the seventies onwards until now. I can relate to Pauls 'What was he thinking' statement.
Paul's TVS3 is the one that ticks all the boxes if you want perfection but as we all know isn't cheap.
I still get excellent results from the Strymon Volante, it can do all the correct taps and timings that you need for the Hank echoes, plus it has vari-speed as well as being able to add tape saturation and wear. As far as pedals go the Volante is the best I have tried by far and I have tried a lot before eventually going back to the TVS3. Second to the TVS3 for me is the Atlantis 1 machine which needs to be set up as an 'old school' machine (no programmed patches) but is excellent if you can find one.
I made patches for the cheap and cheerful Zoom G3 - G5 etc but they don't possess the tone.
As many of you will have read over the past couple of years, I have a Meazzi Echomatic and it does have the sound but I find it a pain in the butt because it's temperamental, so it sits in my studio and is used for reference and serves the purpose of helping me tune in my Kemper Profiler to copy the echoes and timbres of the echo tone.
My chosen rig for Shadows style gigs is my TVS3/Vox AC30/4 but everything else the Kemper through my Fender Deluxe Reverb which is set flat as a powered speaker, or an actual FRFR speaker. I really have stopped worrying about finding the sound because I now have it in those options. All my gadgets such as EQ pedals and Ariab / Gemini3 / JHS Colourbox / are now meaningless because the sound is in my rigs. It took a lot of testing and spending money to do it, but I had fun and enjoyed the journey. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby leddo » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:49 am

I had a Volante for four days but sent it back because it was too much like hard work for my liking. I may get another one and have a bit more patience with it. I also have your patches for the Zoom G3n and they are excellent.
What I was looking for from my post was the experiences and opinions of any members on here who actually have the RE 2 pedal. Is always good to hear straight from the horse, as it were.
leddo

Full Real Name: Phil Lynch

Postby dave robinson » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:44 pm

I've tried it and I have the Nux Tape Core which is the same. They don't come close.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Return to Gear