Has anybody found an ideal guitar/backing set-up for Zoom?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Has anybody found an ideal guitar/backing set-up for Zoom?

Postby glyn012003 » Thu May 26, 2022 8:50 pm

I am having bass guitar lessons via Zoom - and just wondering if anyone has good solutions for playing to backing tracks as well as speaking over Zoom via PC - without a delay between any aspects?
I have tried various combinations of bass, microphone & amp, plus backing from another device, all through an audio interface (Behringer UMC22) - and remembering that you can only use one input to the interface, as that is all Zoom will pick up.
But I find there is always a delay between the backing, voice and guitar by the time it hits the Zoom recipients.
I have also tried virtual mixer software on the PC - i.e. between the audio interface and Zoom - but to no avail.
I have now gone back to basics and resorted to effectively just mic'ing the room using the built-in PC mic to make everything align...
Wondering though if I got a 'real' mixer unit (e.g. a Behringer XENYX 802 Mixer) and connected 1) bass amp output (1/4" jack), 2) microphone (XLR or 1/4" jack), 3) laptop for backing tracks (using a stereo jack from the laptop to dual mono jacks into the mixer...
And then output from the mixer (using dual mono jacks) into a single stereo jack into the audio interface...
Another key question then being where do I listen to the backing track from (e.g. the laptop, the mixer or the audio interface) to make sure no delay between me playing the bass and the backing track - plus being able to hear the Zoom call of course as well!!
I hear lots of supposed solutions out there, but none seem perfect to me - so I'm really interested to hear if anybody here has cracked it??!
Thank you for any advice!!
And happy to provide more details on my existing kit if that helps.
glyn012003

Full Real Name: Glyn Moxham

Re: Has anybody found an ideal guitar/backing set-up for Zoo

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu May 26, 2022 9:58 pm

I’m sure mixing before inputting to Zoom will help. However, Zoom is low quality and subject to latency (delays) that you cannot control. Rather than throwing money at it, I would grudgingly accept the limitations. But if anyone can prove me wrong, please do!

By the way, where do you get backing tracks with no bass?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby glyn012003 » Fri May 27, 2022 11:51 am

Thanks Iain...
I think you're right - the combination of software, hardware and wifi give so many variables and the resulting latency...
But would just love to find a 'cheap' way to play guitar and backing in sync!!
My teacher didn't seem to mind the delay too much - I guess if you're always the same number of milliseconds out, you are probably playing it ok really!! lol
But it must be painful listening like that - hence why I have gone back to old school, just having one mic for everything...
Let's hope someone does have a magic solution for it!!
re: backing tracks, my favourite place for them is www.karaoke-version.co.uk - there is a charge, but seem good quality...
Have to admit I don't use them a lot yet myself - still tend to play along to original recordings - but my wife's a singer and we use the backings from here quite a lot...
You can get all combinations, e.g. a cover, backing tracks with and without backing vocals and with / without various instruments...
Example of Apache here https://www.karaoke-version.co.uk/bass- ... pache.html
They discount when you buy several variations together from one song and they also give you free tracks every few orders.
Thanks again.
glyn012003

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri May 27, 2022 6:45 pm

Interesting. Thanks!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby barryg » Fri May 27, 2022 9:08 pm

A group of us set up a Zoom meeting at the start of lockdown and we tried playing guitar with and without backings but there was too much delay to the sound and gave up after the trial. I think there have been some other programmes around for this but I don't know how successful they've been and I'm not aware of any that really work in simple terms and without any hi tech equipment and are free to use.

Despite this our group of players still meet up for a weekly Zoom meeting where we chat about anything for 80 minutes. That's something you don't do at Shadows club meetings and we all know each other better than we did and we have some laughs every week. Our meetings link up Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Wales.

Barry
barryg

Full Real Name: Barry Gillam

Postby glyn012003 » Fri May 27, 2022 9:36 pm

Thank you Barry...
Yes, my fear is that any good solutions will probably run expensive to achieve.
But glad to hear you are having good times on your Zoom calls anyway!
glyn012003

Postby barryg » Fri May 27, 2022 10:00 pm

The other thing to mention is when trying out these transmissions is to use cable connections and not Wifi as that is a weak link in the signal transmission.

Barry
barryg

Full Real Name: Barry Gillam

Postby glyn012003 » Sat May 28, 2022 12:34 pm

Thanks Barry.
glyn012003

Postby SJB » Sun May 29, 2022 9:04 am

Someone starts the session as the source recording at the same time.
Say a drummer to a click track. Or someone pays a backing or BT. The recipient's play along with their zoom inputs off and recording just themselves not including the source output from zoom.
Now each recipient sends their recording to the person starting as the source. That person combines the recordings. NOTE. ANYONE can do the combining say using a daw even audacity. The final mix is sent to all.

This is how the choirs did it and I think the VbhL that post on this site

Once set up it could be slick.
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby glyn012003 » Sun May 29, 2022 11:37 am

Thanks Stuart - that does sound a slick way of recording multiple things...
Do you have any advice on how I can play bass live with a backing track through the PC to a Zoom meeting (without delay between instrument and backing) - i.e. without just mic'ing the room?
Thank you - all advice welcome!!
glyn012003

Next

Return to Gear