Has anybody found an ideal guitar/backing set-up for Zoom?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Has anybody found an ideal guitar/backing set-up for Zoo

Postby SJB » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:45 am

Ok Glyn - This is my situation.
My voice on Zoom is a bit boomy. In a windows pc there is no easy eq.
So to get round it I could use a mixer. Mic into mixer - mixer output into the PC line in. Apply eq to the mic channel - problem solved.
There is no reason why I could not plug up a BT input and my Guitar input to the mixer. There should be no delay between any of the individual inputs as they are combined in the mixer and put into the PC line it all together.
For the recipients they can listen and play along - but should turn off their zoom inputs.
I have not tried it yet but I think the recipients could record the zoom meeting but as their inputs are off it would not include the recipient.

With respect to bandwidth - slow internet etc. You could each turn off your camera - to release more bandwidth for the music.

Then again in the Zoom Settings you could set up stereo sound. It is there - I checked this out with BarryG. It worked ok. He is down south I am in Wales.

My setup has a Edirol 6 in 6 out. The main irritation is that without rewire software I can't get any of the outputs back as inputs.
So for my mic - I input through Edriol to my Daw and output from the Edirol is wired to the line in on my PC. So I apply eq to the mic. The Daw is running a project - initially with just one channel input and one output.
But of course I can import BT's into that project and they can be mixed and sent to the Edirol output and hence to the PC line in and so to the Zoom Input.

I tried rewire software - it all worked except with Zoom audio. I had clocking issues - realised I could sort is as above so gave up.

I hope this helps.
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby glyn012003 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:46 pm

That's brilliant Stuart...
So I think the first half of your description is what I was hoping for - that directing everything through a mixer should work with no delays:
I had hoped that would be the case when I tried a virtual mixer on the PC, but sadly it didn't - but I agree, I don't see why a physical mixer wouldn't work.
My hope then is that I could combine the outputs from the mixer into a single input to my Behringer UMC22 audio interface - e.g. using an adapter dual mono jacks into a single stereo jack - as Zoom will only pick up one line from the audio interface.
Another key question then being where do I listen to the backing track from (e.g. the source, the mixer or the audio interface) to make sure no delay between me playing the bass and the backing track - plus being able to hear the Zoom call of course as well!!
I think I am getting somewhere though, with your help! :-)
Can I check - re: the second half of the description - excuse my ignorance - is that regarding getting the outputs from your set-up back as inputs to your PC? Sorry I didn't quite get that bit.
Thank you again for your help so far.
glyn012003

Full Real Name: Glyn Moxham

Postby SJB » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:51 pm

Zoom will take stereo. So if you use the mixer to combine your audio inputs (mike / Bt etc) to stereo - then get the meeting master to allow stereo and then the slave set their end to stereo - it should work.

However to make it easier as you say use mono. But just plug say the left channel of the mixer to the UMC22 land pan it left and set the channels of the mixer to all go left. But as you say you could combine the left / right outputs of the mixer to mono.

If you go mono don't bother to set the Zoom meeting up as stereo.

With respect to my setup - Example - if you were to use a Daw to take your inputs from the UMC22 the Daw outputs would go to the UMC22 outputs on the back of the unit.
You can't take the mix from the Daw output as an input without special rewire software. It's coming out of the back sockets.
So if you used a Daw you could take the outputs on the back of the UMC22 into the PC line in.
Then use the PC line in as the Zoom input.

So my mic goes into my Edriol > Cakewalk (Daw) where it is equalised - the Daw output goes to Edirol output 1.
Edirol output 1 socket is wired to PC line in Socket.

If as I think is the best idea for you - to use a mixer then monitor on the mixer to play along.

Hope that helps
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby glyn012003 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:31 pm

Thank you Stuart... amazingly comprehensive help - and really appreciated.
glyn012003

Postby davec » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:13 pm

Glyn,

If you are learning bass guitar then subscribe to the YouTube channel ‘ infusion26 ‘ . All you have to do is mirror-image the screen and copy the fingering. There’s loads of Shadows, Bert Weedon and Ventures stuff. Everything is indexed by the artiste name.

Regards,
DaveC.
davec

Full Real Name: David Coombes

Postby glyn012003 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:13 pm

Brilliant - thank you DaveC!
I've just subscribed!!
Glyn
glyn012003

Previous