Hank's Ideal Live Rig Rundown

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hank's Ideal Live Rig Rundown

Postby abstamaria » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:37 am

I might suggest that Bruce could use a Gibson J200 for the early tunes.
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby abstamaria » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:22 am

I wish I had written this before Paul left us, but he is gone now. I would have wanted to thank him for his post. It is a wonderful summary based on his many, successful years in the quest for That Sound.

The discussion, as is usual here, digressed into different topics not raised by Paul, such as testosterone levels, arthritis, Hank's motivation, the importance of innate musical skill, real-world gigging gear, and so on. Paul‘s post was really only about what he believed the ultimate rig, if no expense or effort were spared, and there he has answered many questions frequently asked and provided a wish list for the inclined to dream of.

Many thanks, Paul.

Andy.
abstamaria

Postby Didier » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:39 am

abstamaria wrote:I might suggest that Bruce could use a Gibson J200 for the early tunes.

Yes, Bruce borrowed Cliff's J200 for recording (not on stage), starting with Apache, and then used it on most early recordings.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby JimN » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:29 pm

roger bayliss wrote:
RogerCook wrote:Which overdrive or fuzz pedal? I think Hank used a Maestro Fuzztone and latterly a Tubescreamer.

I know on the Album '2 of our Shadows are Missing' , the Warlord at least mentioned a Burns Buzzaround was used if memory serves me.

Might not be one used by the Shadows, but certainly the Tonebenders and Maestro Fuzztone were around back then.

Hank is known to have used the Maestro unit as early as 1st May 1965, when Stingray was recorded. It was also used on Don't Make My Baby Blue and The War Lord later the same year. There's a studio photo of it in use in Roberto's book (IIRC).

However, Hank used the Fuzztone only to lightly colour the sound of his Bass VI and Burns Marvin, not to emulate the sustaining tone which was gaining in popularity at the time.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby abstamaria » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:13 am

To digress, but to respond to an earlier post here on the present, more polished style of Hank, I wonder, if Hank had recorded Apache in that more polished style in 1960, whether the world would have responded to it and whether we would be here in Shadowmusic.

In the Ventures world, Nokie Edwards is acknowledged to be much more accomplished player than Bob Bogle, something that Bogle himself admits. But I wonder if, instead of Bogle, Nokie had recorded Walk Don’t Run in 1960 in his more proficient style, whether we would have known the Ventures at all.

Andy
abstamaria

Previous

Return to Gear