Hank's Ideal Live Rig Rundown

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hank's Ideal Live Rig Rundown

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:38 pm

Paul,

With regard to effects units you suggested, it might be useful to mention a few effects pedals I have come across.

1. Double tracking . The Keeley 30ms Double tracker with Abbey Rd reverb might be a great way to simulate this in a live scenario. That pedal has several modes , including Abbey Road mode. The Strymon Deco pedal actually simulates the old style studio ADT using two tape recorders and can also mimic chorus, phasing, fkanging techniques used back in the 60s.

2. Chorus , this again can be imitated using either the Keeley or Strymon pedals.

3. Reverb. Keeley do a Abbey Road Chamber Reverb pedal, with pre delay and eq options.

4. Compression. I feel this was always present on the recordings, as often the outputs from the REDD desks were fed through 2 Altec (modified) compressors to the tracks on the tape recorders. It was invariably used for mastering later. I attach an article which throws light on this . Interesting to read how Geoff Emerick added compression as much as 3 times to Paul McCarney's bass !

https://musictech.com/reviews/altec-436/

5. Overdrive could even be Fuzz unit ?

Nice Post, which sums up some knowledge and ideas.

Roger
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby RogerCook » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:57 am

Which overdrive or fuzz pedal? I think Hank used a Maestro Fuzztone and latterly a Tubescreamer.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:50 am

RogerCook wrote:Which overdrive or fuzz pedal? I think Hank used a Maestro Fuzztone and latterly a Tubescreamer.

I know on the Album '2 of our Shadows are Missing' , the Warlord at least mentioned a Burns Buzzaround was used if memory serves me.

Might not be one used by the Shadows, but certainly the Tonebenders and Maestro Fuzztone were around back then.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby RogerCook » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:36 am

I recall John Distill used the Buzzaround on Bombay Duck with the footswitch replaced by a non latching switch so he could have alternate clean/fuzz notes.
Last edited by RogerCook on Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RogerCook

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:03 pm

Who is John Distill ? Does he make whisky ? :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby RogerCook » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:34 pm

Rostill!! Autocorrect ☹️☹️. But possibly gin as well!!
RogerCook

Postby fenderplucker » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:10 pm

Roger,

The Keeley and Strymon pedals are indeed quite good and would probably fit the bill, though the Keeley rotary pedal lacks the true rotary effects of slow and fast rotor speed, variable acceleration and braking etc. and there are far better options. However, that said, Hank didn't make use of such features so maybe its not that important. I haven't heard their Abbey Road reverb pedal but would be tempted to go for impulse based system. Even though there is no official IR from the studio 2 reverb chamber, it is not hard to start with one from a similar size room and tweak it to get quite close to the recorded sound.

For compression, I have not heard any pedals that come even close to the RS124/Altec 436 or Fairchild compressor/limiters and so would still go either for vintage units or an authentic reproduction like the one from Chandler. There are some good plugins that get close, but for this exercise I would stick completely to the real hardware.

A Maestro Fuzz-Tone would be an authentic addition, though I have seen a Tubescreamer in his studio.

Paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby Somerset » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:03 am

I've only recently joined this forum so perhaps a bit more about me another time.

I have been avidly reading the posts on the message boards but this is my first contribution. The original post makes reference to a number of the big rock bands but I think there is a very significant difference between the likes of, for example, Joe Bonamassa and Hank Marvin.

Joe's sound is defined by his live shows and his challenge is to reproduce that in the studio. With all of the studio gimmicks and gizmos he can give it a fair crack of the whip but personally I don't think he has ever perfected it.

But in Hank's case his sound was defined by the studio and the challenge is to replicate that in a live setting. I think Hank has the more difficult task and not one that he, or anyone else, could ever hope to achieve 100%. There will always be some compromises to be made and for the average fan in the audience a Strat, a clean amp and an echo device will probably satisfy their needs but for nerds like us, well that is a completely different story!

Great forum by the way!
Somerset

Full Real Name: Richard Holloway

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:25 pm

As someone always ends up saying in these discussions, “it’s all in the fingers.” Use any rig you like, expensive or cheap, but if you don’t play like a 19-year-old Hank, you won’t sound like a 19-year-old Hank.

Nor does the 80-year-old Hank! Why would he?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby MeBHank » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:45 am

Iain Purdon wrote:As someone always ends up saying in these discussions, “it’s all in the fingers.” Use any rig you like, expensive or cheap, but if you don’t play like a 19-year-old Hank, you won’t sound like a 19-year-old Hank.

Nor does the 80-year-old Hank! Why would he?

Absolutely true. Once upon a time I used to have the best vintage gear possible. I never used to shut up about it. But now, thanks to life changes and budget issues, I'm using what is probably the cheapest possible rig to get an accurate Hank sound... and I'm still inundated with compliments and questions about how I get my sound! Often from people who have far better equipment than I do! Go figure!
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

PreviousNext

Return to Gear