From Abel

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

From Abel

Postby abel » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:46 pm

Hi all,

I hope that you are all well in health and spirit.
As some of you may know, I lost my dear wife of 50 years, Mary Christina, last October.
Some of you met her at the 2009 Shadowmania.

I have been, and I am still struggling with the unbearable grief.
I decided to get out of the house after 7 months and spent 2 days (June 3 and 4th) at the NAMM Show in Anaheim, CA.
I am glad I did, as it took my mind away from the everyday painful thoughts.

I stumbled upon a British company that builds (in China), some really good-looking vintage-Like strats.
I like very much this one below and would like to have your expert advice on the specs and especially for playing early Shadows tunes.

https://vintageguitarsrus.com/collections/icon-series/products/vintage-v6-icon-electric-guitar-distressed-firenza-red

God willing, I am thinking of making a trip to UK and France soon, alone this time unfortunately, and say hello to the friends there.

Thank you very much, and please cherish and stay as close and as often as you can to your beloved spouse. It's priceless.

Blessings,
Abel
abel

Full Real Name: Abel Khineche

Re: From Abel

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:13 pm

Hi Abel, I have several guitars by Vintage and I can recommend them. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby abel » Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:46 am

Thank you Dave,

I think I will get one. I have played Shads tunes for years now.

Abel
abel

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:17 am

I have a Vintage SG and two acoustics, the Gordon Giltrap Deluxe model and a Paul Brett 12 string, both electro acoustics and they are supetb.
I've also owned their Peter Green 'Lemon Drop' Les Paul and a 335 but sold them recently, only because I'm cutting down my collection of guitars. I have gone PRS for the Les Paul style and Epiphone 339 instead of the larger 335. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby abel » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:30 am

Yes, if you remember, I purchased the smaller Epiphone upon your recommendation, and it was an excellent move.

Abel
abel

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:26 am

I do remember Abel. The small bodies are more manageable although I love the look of the traditional sized 335, but I've had some beautiful Gibson & Gretsch guitars that I would shy away from using because of their size and being uncomfortable to use in a long set. I recently sold my White Falcon and Gretsch 6120 and now use a couple of PRS Custom 24 guitars as well as two D'Angelico 'Brighton' models and a couple of Strats' with modern profile Deluxe necks that suit my ageing hands. I found a couple of small bodied Gretsches with flat necks too, the 5655 models and they are excellent too, which means I still have that great Gretsch sound and look, should I wish to use it.
I loved my Vintage Les Paul 'Peter Green' model, but it was heavy and rarely used because of that. I haven't had a Vintage Strat, but I know the quality in hardware and pickups to be excellent as they are by Trevor Wilkinson. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:11 am

Condolences Abel , 50 years of partnership and love will be hard to get over, but life must continue for you and your plans sound like a good positive move.

Vintage guitars are a very good brand and use Trevor Wilkinson's excellent parts and pickups. I too had the Peter Green Les Paul for a while and thought it was excellent overall. The Epiphone range is also great build quality and I have a Les Paul. I also like the Music Man Sterling range , I was looking at getting a Cutlass. Check those out.

https://intl.sterlingbymusicman.com/collections/guitars

G&L tribute series are another consideration, I have an S500 and they do a Legacy Strat as well as telecaster styles and others.

Fender Squirer are good too , but might need a little upgrade here and there to make them a bit better .
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Stu's Dad » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:55 am

Hello Abel,

I was a little concerned that we hadn't heard from you for a while, but now we know why. My heart goes out to you in your loss. I too have lost a wife but we were both a good deal younger and probably more resilient. To lose the love of your life after fifty years must be like losing half of yourself, but I know from experience that all things must pass, and time heals. I wish you well.

Vintage guitars are very good, I had the Vintage Jerry Donahue Telecaster and it was excellent. Having said that, I wouldn't want to pay over £400 for a guitar that's essentiallly damaged. Before you commit yourself have a look at The Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster, I've got one and it really is a great guitar.

Warmest wishes,

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby abel » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:15 am

Thank you all,

I do have a Squier Classic 50 vibe and it's a very good guitar, but I really wanted a guitar that could get me closer
to the excellent sound of Robby Januarsa in his early Shads versions.

I'll see how satisfied I am with the British made "Vintage Guitars Icon V6 Electric Guitar -Distressed Firenza Red".

Blessings,
Abel
abel

Postby JimN » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:24 am

abel wrote:Thank you all,
I do have a Squier Classic 50 vibe and it's a very good guitar, but I really wanted a guitar that could get me closer
to the excellent sound of Robby Januarsa in his early Shads versions.
I'll see how satisfied I am with the British made "Vintage Guitars Icon V6 Electric Guitar -Distressed Firenza Red".
Blessings,
Abel

Hello, Abel, my old friend!

I'm looking forward to your visit to the UK if you can arrange it!

But... be advised... those Vintage guitars are not made in Great Britain, or indeed in any part of Europe. They are Asian built to Trevor Wilkinson's design.

Even so, they are good guitars, with much of the vibe of a vintage Fender. I once borrowed a Vintage Lemon Drop (their version of the famed 1959-ish Gibson Les Paul). As you know, I have a couple of Les Pauls, but that Vintage brand instrument played as well as any of them.

Best wishes,

JimN

PS: We may see you in CA before too long (at least, I hope so).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Next

Return to Gear