Vox MV-50 AC - with demos

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Vox MV-50 AC - with demos

Postby dave robinson » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:40 pm

Those cuts in the bass region are on a par with the HPF that Abbey Road employed. That's really all you need to replicate the tone.
I'm loving how this little MV-50 rig is so light and easy to cart around. I know I've invested in the 1 x 12 cabinet, but in all honesty the 1 x 8 is ample for home and club needs. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby shadphil » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:05 pm

Has anyone tried recording with the MV50 AC line out yet thanks phil
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Postby dave robinson » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:20 pm

shadphil wrote:Has anyone tried recording with the MV50 AC line out yet thanks phil

I've got it all set up at the moment, is there anything particular you'd like to hear Phil ?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby shadphil » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:53 pm

Hi Dave,as i havn't had chance to do any recording yet i wondered how good the line out sound was for recording if you are set up any song will do thanks phil
shadphil

Postby dave robinson » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:19 pm

I've been having a play with the MV50 and two 1 x 8 cabinets and they are amazingly powerful which surprised me as it wasn't expected. I had it set up side by side with my Fender DeLuxe Reverb and it more than matched it in it's own characteristic Vox AC tone.
I also tried the DI through my home system and it's the same sound, even without the speakers, I'll get the camera out and record something fir you. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby shadphil » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:30 pm

Thanks Dave what eq setting did you set the mv50 at when using the 2 cabs deep or flat as a matter of interest phil
shadphil

Postby dave robinson » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:22 pm

I didn't think about the little switch on the back, but when I checked it was on bass boost so I'll try it in the flat position too.
The tone control was set at 10 o clock so there's plenty of treble cut or boost should it be needed.
At the moment Joy is down in your neck of the woods so I have most of my guitars out and the place looks like a music shop but she's back tomorrow and I need to tidy up. I'll get the camera out later today when I've done that and show you the sound, live in my little room. I'm using my Zoom G5n and seriously thinking of going back to it as it does sound as good as the Kemper now I've had a couple of weeks playing with each and comparing.
It has been a real eye opener for me and using a Classic Vibe Strat, Zoom G5n and this little Vox MV50 AC, I've had a sound close to what I know would be every Shadows fan's dream for what is relatively not a lot of money. The only way you find out how to get the best out of the kit is by constant playing, tweaking and comparing, for which you need the solitude I have been fortunate to have for a couple of weeks. It's impossible to do the level of noise and constant playing when people are sharing your home, simply because you'd drive them crazy, so I'm happy to have made use of my time alone and made some serious noise. It ends on Friday. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby shadphil » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:47 pm

Thanks dave look forward to hearing the sounds. phil
shadphil

Postby dave robinson » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:47 am

I did a couple late on, it's rough and ready as I didn't mess about too much with EQ other than getting the balance between guitar and track.
I rolled off some top end and bass on the guitar at the desk. The tone control on the amp set at 10 o clock, volume ten o clock and gain all the way off.
I think spending more time setting up and tweaking would maybe achieve better results, but I think these tracks answer the question well enough. :)

https://youtu.be/f2g7I0HrrNw. Wonderful Land
https://youtu.be/kdI8tD2URE8. Midnight
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby leddo » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:31 am

Nothing very rough and ready about that, Dave. Great sound from a relatively small outlay in money terms. Are the patches in the G5n the same as the patches for the G3n? I have never tried the G5n but I think it has a few extra patch slots compared to its wee brother. Is that right?
leddo

Full Real Name: Phil Lynch

PreviousNext

Return to Gear