Vox MV-50 AC - with demos

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Vox MV-50 AC - with demos

Postby dave robinson » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:12 pm

Well anyone who was wondering if the Vox MV-50 AC would be suitable for the sound of The Shadows can be assured that the answer is a big yes, which is why I did these demos. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby shadphil » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:41 pm

Hi Dave great sound from such a small amp thanks for your help with this. If anyone is interested DV247 music store have them in stock delivery 4-5 days. phil
shadphil

Full Real Name: phil denyer

Postby dave robinson » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:15 pm

Thanks Phil I knew about that because I ordered a second rig from them which arrives tomorrow. i also captured a second hand BC112 cabinet for a bargain price which may be good for using the amp live with the band. I know it's more gear, but I'm selling stuff as well so it keeps me occupied. 8-)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Somerset » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:06 pm

shadphil wrote:Hi Dave great sound from such a small amp thanks for your help with this. If anyone is interested DV247 music store have them in stock delivery 4-5 days. phil

That's where I got mine from. It comes from Germany but good service
Somerset

Full Real Name: Richard Holloway

Postby dave robinson » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:31 pm

My Vox BC112 speaker arrived today and I took it up to Barlborough Miners Welfare where we play every Thursday to set up and give it a blast. I can safely say that the 25 watts that the little MV-50 AC kicks out through this 12" speaker is ample volume for our type of music in a club of this size, around 100/130 seat capacity. It will mic up or DI for recording or larger venues without a problem and I guarantee the Vox trademark sound is there in abundance, which renders the very heavy Vox AC 30 redundant.
The only problem ? It's come too late in my career. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby shadphil » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:14 pm

There's a vox mv50 AC + bc108 cab on a well known auction site £140
shadphil

Postby shadphil » Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:40 pm

If you had 2- vox BC108 8 ohm cabs connected together as the cab outputs are wired in parallel that would give you 4 ohms so you get the full 50 watts out of the 2-108 cabs and not have to buy a BC112 you could use one cab 8 ohm 25w at home
and the 2 together for gigging. just a thought Phil
shadphil

Postby dave robinson » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:14 pm

Yes Phil that was my line of thought and I'll be able to try it now as my second rig arrive this afternoon.
Last night I used the BC112 at 8ohm giving me 25 watts and it is a lot bigger and louder sounding than the 8" option, as one would expect, but I was told it could have done with being turned down a little. I normally use my Fender deluxe Reverb Tone Master which is a 1 x 12 @ 22 watts, so this tells me that we don't really need to do the 4 ohm - 50 watt thing as it certainly will be too loud for this particular gig. We'll see, but the object of the exercise was to try it and see if it was good for our music and I took it further by comparing with the real AC30 with the EF86 and was pleasantly surprised by what i discovered.
I can say with all confidence that with each of my echo units, the sound was almost identical in the mix with the backing playing.
The TVS3 had the edge as expected but the Strymon Volante, Zoom G5n, Vox ToneLab LE, NUX Tape Core and even the old Zoom 2200 and Quad GT sounded more than acceptable and I'd be delighted to use any of them with this MV-50 AC amp & cabinet setup. The good things are it's weight and size and is that it isn't expensive to buy and not a graphic EQ or fancy tone shaping gadget in sight. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby shadphil » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:02 pm

Dave it will be interesting to know how the 2 BC108 cabs sound together thanks phil
shadphil

Postby dave robinson » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:16 pm

OK I'll have a look at it and report back here. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to Gear