Vox MV-50 AC - with demos

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Vox MV-50 AC - with demos

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:03 pm

I have to admit that I thought the Spark 40 was the answer to our 'small amp in the home' solution but the Vox MV-50 with BC108 cabinet out performs it for accuracy.
I do suspect that there may me a combo in the Vox range that also delivers the tone, but I am yet to come across it.
For the outlay of £169 for the AC version of the MV-50 with a BC108 cabinet, this represents fantastic value for home players who don't have the space for large amplifiers and the best bit is the way they can be dismantled and stored out of sight. I couldn't wait to do the comparison between the real deal and the MV-50, I figured having another cabinet would only benefit the volume for live performances, so I used my Zoom Q8 camera and played my BTs through the small 8" studio monitors at low level, using the camera's own microphones to capture the sound, which is very impressive.
It remains to be seen whether or not the 50 watts with two cabinets will suffice for gigs, but we'll try it and see. That said it is the closest early Shads sound I have enjoyed from a rig in a long time. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby guitarfred » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:48 am

Thanks Dave, most interesting. I personally could not tell much, if any, difference between the two. The only comment I have is that most of us do not have, or never will have a TVS3 unit. I wondered what it would have sounded like through our echo units ( like Charlie Halls, Zoom, Volante, Blue Nebula and so on). Nonetheless a very good demo and do not worry about any mistakes , the rest of your playing more than makes up for that. Thanks again.
guitarfred

Full Real Name: Fred Muldowney

Postby dave robinson » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:18 am

That's a fair point Fred but I already tried it with my Zoom G3x and Strymon Volante and the result is very similar. The TVS3 is a great piece of kit but the sound comes from the amplifier.
I sold my Hall & Collins so can't try that, but I do have several budget echo boxes and will have a go at another video.
It's having to concentrate on switching between them that causes my loss of concentration and then I make silly mistakes :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Mikebeer » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:31 pm

Thanks Dave for the demo tracks, both excellent IMHO. I think the MV50 gives, to my ears, the slightly better sound. It seems to bring out the middle frequencies better and sounds closer to the original Shadows recordings.
If I made as few mistakes I’d be well pleased!
Mikebeer

Full Real Name: Michael Beer

Postby leddo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:36 pm

Amazing sounds from such a tiny amp.
Is that a Custom Shop Fender Strat you are playing?
leddo

Full Real Name: Phil Lynch

Postby dave robinson » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:44 pm

Thanks for commenting chaps- That Strat is a red aftermarket body that I bought for £90 fully painted, my old Alan Brason neck and some Sliders pickups with Fender bits that I had laying around. It has Ernie Ball Hybrid strings (9/46) and they've been on over two years.
I have another similar Strat in sunburst which is loaded with 12/56 strings and sounds slightly more 'beefy', which one would expect.
It has a Fender birds eye maple neck but the body is aftermarket alder, same as the red one. The pickups are unknown without taking it apart and checking, but I know they aren't anything as extravagant as Sliders.
I will do THE FRIGHTENED CITY with the Zoom G5n through the MV50 AC, as well as THE SAVAGE & KON TIKI Ising my Vox ToneLab LE, both easily affordable options of echo compared to the TVS3, you don't have to spend a lot. :)

https://youtu.be/DB2Pvd8NGmE THE FRIGHTENED CITY
https://youtu.be/63M1N47P2kc. The Savage
https://youtu.be/Tcjc9pRnwdI. Kon Tiki
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:37 pm

OK I've done what I can now to show people that the Vox MV-50 AC delivers the goods, regardless of how much the echo box cost.

I used my Zoom Q8 camera that has two excellent built in microphones, which are set for level by the user with the meters on the screen.
Unlike the everyday family camcorder, it doesn't compress the audio if it's loud, so great for this purpose.

I'll do some more when the extra cabinet arrives and we'll se if it's good for live work, in fact I'll record some stuff at our Thursday night gig if it arrives in time.
I have added the new sound files above on the first post as well as above in the previous post.
I used another Strat with 12/56 strings which is more like the gauges used in the early sixties. I'm not sure what the pickups are on this Strat without pulling it apart, but I know they are not as expensive as the Sliders on the red Strat. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby leddo » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:08 am

Very interesting comparison, Dave. Were you using any amp sims or compression on the G5n or Tonelab? I thought the G5n sounded better but the echoes weren't as loud as the Tonelab echoes.
I hope you are on commission from Vox. The Mv50AC appears to have sold out everywhere since this time last week!
leddo

Full Real Name: Phil Lynch

Postby dave robinson » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:37 am

Interesting comments Phil, no there were no other effects involved on the Tonelab or Zoom G5n, I just used the echo on each as I wanted the amp to do the business on it's own.
The echo levels on The Frightened City are set slightly higher than the patch for The Savage and Kon Tiki.
The object of the exercise though was to demonstrate the sound of the MV50 AC and I think it showed how close it was to the real deal. I am seriously considering buying the Vox BC112-150 E 4ohm cabinet but they only seem to be available in Europe and there's a big slice of tax to go on top of the price, making it a bit steep. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Teflon » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:33 pm

Thanks for taking the time to record these demos Dave, much appreciated.

I have to agree, that's a pretty impressive sound from the MV50, even more so when you consider the price differential with an AC30. I do most of my practicing using ear phones via my Zoom G3X, though I do have a Yamaha THR5 for occasional use. Perhaps it's now the right time for a new amp :D

Cliff
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

PreviousNext

Return to Gear