Squire Classic Vibe 60s Strat

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Squire Classic Vibe 60s Strat

Postby me-and-my-shadow » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:15 pm

Hi, the guitar is new, looks good but the bridge pickup, no matter what string height is ice pick sharp. 6th -to 4th response is normal.. Top E particularly harsh. Dont want to roll off the tone control.
I have an American Highway One strat so pretty much know the difference. Im looking to replace the pickup with a decent budget pu. Of course it has to blend with the present mid and neck pups.
Im told the the the 60 Squire CV Strat guitar pickups are three standard Fender-Alnico single-coil type.

Any suggestion welcome. Thanks John
me-and-my-shadow

Full Real Name: John cauley

Re: Squire Classic Vibe 60s Strat

Postby Stu's Dad » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:32 pm

Before you replace the pickup John try reducing the volume a bit. I have to do it on my 50s Classic Vibe for the same reason, and roll it off to between 8 & 9. Ironstone Golds are a very good vintage set for a clean 60s sound. I think they only sell full sets but at £40 for the whole set it's excellent value. Another good brand are Tonerider Surfaris. About twice the price of Ironstone but you may be able to buy singles. The only problem with them is that you may end up with the same problem - many players believe that the CV 50s has the Tonerider set, and I wouldn't disagree with them, even though the pickups are labelled Fender on the bottom. The specifications of both sets are identical, and as I already mentioned I make adjustments for them.

Good luck,

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby me-and-my-shadow » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:48 pm

Thanks for getting back to me Len, I own up Ive posed the question on a few forums on various websites, I either get no answer at all or some expensive brand.
I think there is something out of kilter with my bridge pup. 6 to 4 sound absolutely fine, 5 is passable but the top E is excruciating. If I back of the volume the bass response loses something.
Ive changed pups on other of my guitars in the past but this is proving a headache. I use the CV as a back up instrument.
cheers John
me-and-my-shadow

Postby JimN » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:52 pm

me-and-my-shadow wrote:Thanks for getting back to me Len, I own up Ive posed the question on a few forums on various websites, I either get no answer at all or some expensive brand.
I think there is something out of kilter with my bridge pup. 6 to 4 sound absolutely fine, 5 is passable but the top E is excruciating. If I back of the volume the bass response loses something.
Ive changed pups on other of my guitars in the past but this is proving a headache. I use the CV as a back up instrument.
cheers John

have you tried a change to a different make of strings?

Which ones are you using?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby me-and-my-shadow » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:49 pm

Hi Jim, Worth a try, I'll let you know. I use Elixir Nanoweb 10-46 BUT I change the top 10 gauge for a 11 or 11.5. No particular make. cheers John Maybe thats the prob ? cheers John
me-and-my-shadow

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:19 pm

Have you tried lowering the pickup heights? I do this on all my Strats and it certainly makes a difference.

(Having said that I've tried both Ironstone Golds and Tonerider Surfaris and didn't like either of them!)
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby RogerCook » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:47 pm

Unless it's been rewired, I don't think the tone control operates on the bridge pickup. Wiring mod details here: https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/pages/s ... rol-wiring
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:49 pm

RogerCook wrote: ... I don't think the tone control operates on the bridge pickup ...

The one on the amplifier does though.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Return to Gear