NGD and a few questions...

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

NGD and a few questions...

Postby Phrygian » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:44 pm

I recently sold off some underutilized gear and decided to get a new Strat with the proceeds. I didn't set out to get one like Hank's but I zeroed in on an early '60s Journeyman model because of the features. I went to a shop with a fantastic inventory of Journeyman models in numerous colors. I was very tempted by a Sea Foam Green model but ended up taking this one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46264216@ ... ateposted/

To my surprise, the trem arm that came with the guitar is shorter than standard. I didn't think Fender had different size arms back then but this guitar also has a 9.5" fretboard radius which wasn't offered back then either. When did Hank start using a shorter arm?

This guitar has an aged finish and is supplied with a mint green guard. I have read that those '60s guards were slightly green out of the box but color photos of Hank and Bruce with Fiesta Red/rosewood board guitars show much whiter looking guards. So does this film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFMsIjl07sM

Just curious for opinions of those who saw those guitars in person back in the day. Was there a green tint?

No real matter though, I love the feel and sound of this guitar. It is as close to a vintage early '60s Strat as I will ever get.
Phrygian

Full Real Name: Bob Lalich

Re: NGD and a few questions...

Postby robin giles » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:53 pm

As far as I remember the shorter straighter trem arm appeared on Hanks USA signature model in the early 90's.I have one of those.
It is also visible on the tour poster for Hanks first solo tour with Brian Warren and Mark Griffiths which I think was 1994.

The early scratch plates were made of bakelite the forerunner to plastic and white aged to green over time.
Modern strats with aged green parts are plastic and artificially coloured to give the impression of age.
Bakelite was very fragile so plastic is more durable.

Aged parts have been around for years. fitted them to a guitar a few years ago and it looks good.

Not sure when the material changed but if you look at photos of them at the time even if bakelite was used it would not have aged so would still be white.20 years on those guitars would have looked different
robin giles

Full Real Name: robin giles

Postby GoldenStreet » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:29 pm

Phrygian wrote:
This guitar has an aged finish and is supplied with a mint green guard. I have read that those '60s guards were slightly green out of the box but color photos of Hank and Bruce with Fiesta Red/rosewood board guitars show much whiter looking guards. So does this film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFMsIjl07sM

Apologies, slightly off topic! Here is the same Young Ones excerpt (part of), but with the mono soundtrack 'Witch Doctor' version of The Savage, rather than the stereo mix of the single release...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDl9yAvZm5U

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby dave robinson » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:43 am

Regarding ghe length of the trem arm, in 1964 I bought a Stratocaster and the arm was on the short side compared with what Fender put out today with most of their Strats.
I noticed the difference on the later ones, but my 1954 Anniversary Custom Shop model had the shorter arm too. I have several Strats and the older ones have shorter arms, as do the re-issues, though they have a more severe angle of 'bend'.
As for the colour of the pick guard, the plain white ones were always white, it was the laminate ones from 1960 with the black in the middle that tended to fade to a pale green and there seems to be several different shades of cream and 'off white' on various models on offer, but that said I can remember my pick guard being more white at the time and I saw the guitar recently, fifty years after I sold it and can confirm it's now a pale shade of dirty green. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:49 am

robin giles wrote:As far as I remember the shorter straighter trem arm appeared on Hanks USA signature model in the early 90's.I have one of those.
It is also visible on the tour poster for Hanks first solo tour with Brian Warren and Mark Griffiths which I think was 1994.

The early scratch plates were made of bakelite the forerunner to plastic and white aged to green over time.
Modern strats with aged green parts are plastic and artificially coloured to give the impression of age.
Bakelite was very fragile so plastic is more durable.

Aged parts have been around for years. fitted them to a guitar a few years ago and it looks good.

Not sure when the material changed but if you look at photos of them at the time even if bakelite was used it would not have aged so would still be white.20 years on those guitars would have looked different

Absolutely spot on there Robin, I have seen it first hand with my own instruments.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Phrygian » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:42 pm

GoldenStreet wrote:
Apologies, slightly off topic! Here is the same Young Ones excerpt (part of), but with the mono soundtrack 'Witch Doctor' version of The Savage, rather than the stereo mix of the single release...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDl9yAvZm5U

Bill

The sound matches the video much better in this version.
Phrygian

Postby Phrygian » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:48 pm

dave robinson wrote:As for the colour of the pick guard, the plain white ones were always white, it was the laminate ones from 1960 with the black in the middle that tended to fade to a pale green and there seems to be several different shades of cream and 'off white' on various models on offer, but that said I can remember my pick guard being more white at the time and I saw the guitar recently, fifty years after I sold it and can confirm it's now a pale shade of dirty green. :)

Some sources say the laminated guards were green when new. I was a bit too young at the time to have any recollection of Strats from the early 60s. I don't think I saw a Fender Strat in person until the very late 60s. It's good to get a first hand perspective on that.

Personally, I like the look of a white guard better than the mint green. I may order a white replacement and switch it out but I haven't decided yet.
Phrygian

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:19 pm

Reminds me of something that happened to me a few years back. I auditioned for a band as a bass player; noticing the lead guitarist had a Fiesta Red Strat I thought to myself 'oh he's got a 60s reissue like mine' (except mine was Sonic Blue).

It wasn't until we broke for coffee and a chat, and I got a closer look at it, that I realised it was an original 1964 Strat. Yet the scratchplate, pickup covers, knobs etc. were all as white as the driven snow. When I asked him about this he said "Well I didn't like the colour they went when they got old so I put new ones on instead."

AARRGGGHHHH!!!! I just hope he kept the originals!

I should just add that the post-1959 'mint green' scratchplates were discontinued in about 1965 as they were made of nitrocellulose and it was thought unwise to keep large quantities of this rather flammable material at the factory. Their whiter replacements were I believe made from polystyrene.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby Phrygian » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:49 pm

Uncle Fiesta wrote:Reminds me of something that happened to me a few years back. I auditioned for a band as a bass player; noticing the lead guitarist had a Fiesta Red Strat I thought to myself 'oh he's got a 60s reissue like mine' (except mine was Sonic Blue).

Do you still have your Sonic Blue 60's RI? That color was under consideration by me, as well as Foam Green and Daphne Blue. I love the Fender pastels of that era.
Phrygian

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:17 am

Phrygian wrote:
Uncle Fiesta wrote:Reminds me of something that happened to me a few years back. I auditioned for a band as a bass player; noticing the lead guitarist had a Fiesta Red Strat I thought to myself 'oh he's got a 60s reissue like mine' (except mine was Sonic Blue).

Do you still have your Sonic Blue 60's RI?

I don't I'm afraid. I kept it for about 20 years then about 5 years ago sold it to a friend who had long coveted it. Unfortunately he had it stolen about a year ago. (I still have the serial number - K 020893 - so will know if it ever comes up for sale!)

I recently bought a Surf Green one which is not too far off.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Next

Return to Gear