Different Pickups

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Different Pickups

Postby dave robinson » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:14 pm

To add to the debate I want to share this with everyone here who are considering swapping pickups.

About thirty years ago I bought a not too expensive Japanese Fender Stratocaster in red, nothing fancy about it as we weren't scrutinising back then as we do today, so it had the stock pickups and controls of the day on a medium priced Jap Fender Strat, which these days people immediately suggest should be swapped out. I was satisfied with it for a few years until I discovered this forum, where all sorts of advice was been thrown around. I posted some tunes that people liked and commented on favourably and all was well until I mentioned it was a Japanese Stratocaster and then suddenly everybody could hear something not quite authentic about the tone. As a result I foolishly feared they may be right, so I bought some expensive custom pickups for it with USA pots & switch, on a mint green pick guard and discarded the original pick guard with the pick ups and controls and stored it in a drawer, continuing to use the guitar and eventually buying a AAA birdseye maple neck for it and discarding the original one, selling it on. It sounded marvellous, as good as my '63 original Strat and it's been a good guitar to me for a lot of years. However, I continued to collect guitars and I'm now in a position where I have over 70 and some are no longer playable because of their neck profiles not suiting my chemo therapy damaged hands. I kid you not, a millimetre in size or curve of a neck profile can make the difference to me, so this guitar was one of the ones marked up for sale.
Yesterday I put the original parts back onto the body with this AAA USA birds eye maple neck and when I'd set it up and tested it, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It sounds fantastic with it's original (budget Jap ones) electrics and as close as any of my expensive Custom Shop Masterbuilt guitars costing ten times the price. I actually felt stupid, like I'd made some big mistakes back all those years ago by listening to all the Shadows 'experts' who insisted that the guitar had to have certain pick ups and pots, I spent heavily buying a lot of stuff that I had been led to believe was necessary to achieve THAT SOUND. Anyway the result is this, that guitar stands me at just over £400 and it's the birds eye neck that makes it that high, but it has a sound to die for if you're into the early Shads sound.
When I took my top spec expensive pick guard off which now had the £200 Sliders pick ups fitted, then re-fitted the stock pick guard with the stock pick ups, that the 'experts' claimed were no good, the guitar sounded exactly the same as it did with the expensive ones and I was amazed. I have to laugh when I think of all the guys that have spent thousands of pounds changing and swapping out their Japanese/Chinese pick ups because of bad advice, me included.
So that's the story and I'm going to make a short video to put on You Tube, playing that guitar so people can hear it compared with my original '61 as well as expensive Custom Shop Strats :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:17 pm

For those of you who are waiting for my video of the above mentioned Fender Jap Strat, I promise that I will get around to doing it soon, but I'm experimenting with Stratocaster parts on a daily basis trying to find out why this guitar sounds the way it does. A week ago when I decided to put it back to it's original state in order to list it for sale, it had a triple ply pick guard a a set of Sliders pickups fitted, as was my choice for the past few years. When I re-fitted the original Japanese pickups and electrics to find that it sounded equally as good as when the Sliders were in place, I was curious about how it would sound with my Kinman set that I've had 22 years and discarded back in 2007. As the Kinmans' were already on a three ply pick-guard with the controls, it was an easy swap and no trouble. Again I tested it using the same echo and amp and it still sounded great, only slightly different, but not enough to want to change again. So I'm wondering what it is in that guitar that no matter what type of pickups, or how expensive they are, it still has a great sound, almost identical whether it's the Sliders, Kinmans' or cheap Japanese pickups fitted. OK the neck is high end, it's a Mighty Mite Fender Licensed AAA birds Eye maple neck, but I didn't think that would be the key factor. The one other thing I swapped on that guitar was more recent and it's a Wilkinson Vintage Strat type bridge with a heavy, thick block. I bought it because I couldn't get hold of a Fender one in gold at the time and it was a compromise. I have another Strat with a Wilkinson bridge and that too sounds great. I'm now thinking that it's that heavy block that is making the difference. The guitar sounds great unplugged, so I believe there's something in that, so I'm now going through all my Strats' and checking these bits and pieces to figure out what's making them sound the way they do.
I have noticed in the past that certain types of body or neck don't suit certain pickups, eg alder/ash, rosewood/maple, the different combinations sound different (some in a bad way) with certain types of Strat pickup. I feel with quite a few of my guitars I have got lucky by accident and this is one of those moments.
I have gone to the trouble of writing all of this to try and help people and encourage experimentation rather than spending money on expensive parts when it might possibly be something as easy as a 'dead' tremolo block causing the dis-satisfaction. I have heard some awful sounding guitars and upon investigation found that rather than the pickups, the bridge has been the culprit. I haven't worked all of this out myself as I watch a lot of stuff on YouTube and found some of it very useful, but seeing all this stuff has aroused my curiosity and interest in what the mechanics of the guitar is all about. Trust me, it's useful. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:32 am

My own (Mexican) Strat - which you have played, Dave - also has the heavy block and I'm sure it makes a difference.

Although the 12-54 strings and 57/62 pickups could have something to do with it!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby Garystrat » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:02 pm

I fitted a Callahan steel block to a Mexican Strat that became my guitar of choice for quite a while. It also had CS 54 PUPs, but I believe it was the block that made the big difference, it gave the whole guitar a different feel and significantly improved sustain. I also got the shorter tremolo arm, the screw fit is well supported and worked perfectly for years:

https://www.callahamguitars.com/tech_blockdetails.htm
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby dave robinson » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:12 am

I to am leaning towards a quality tremolo block as being more important than the pickups in my own experience. The guitar sounds really lively even when unplugged and I've looked at some of my other Strats closely and discovered that my cheap SX Strat sounds equally as good with it's Wilkinson tremolo unit fitted. It's the WVP6 with it's smooth saddles and smooth surround, which I also fitted to my Classic Vibe Strat. Wilkinson trem blocks always seem to improve a guitar.
The good news is that it's a cheaper fix than a set of pickups. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Garystrat » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:20 am

Hi Dave,

The cost of the Callahan block/arm at the time was about two thirds the price of a set of CS PUPs, but in my opinion absolutely worth it, in addition to the above it gave greater tuning stability, improved tone and resolved all problems associated with floppy tremolo arms.

I purchased this particular block/arm based on the materials and specifications, it’s a heavy rolled steel block with the arm supported in a frictionless Delrin plastic bush at the top. This arrangement provides not only a snug fit, but also some acoustic isolation of arm and distributes leverage evenly within the bore.

The arm stays where it’s put and has a very smooth action without any tensioning adjustments being required.

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby dave robinson » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:56 pm

It doesn't have to be the Callaham block, they're expensive and the Wilkinson ones I found are just as heavy quality and cost £37.50 for the gold version and £29.75 for the chrome or nickel ones. All three of the ones I bought made a vast improvement to the guitar to which they were fitted. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Previous

Return to Gear